I can't get this humidistat to work with an AprilAire 550! The manual says "can be used with most humidifiers." I'm assuming they mean any 24V humidifier and not a 120V type.

I scanned the wire diagram...If you follow this link, you can see it:
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/o2n/wirediagram.JPG

Instead of using the W terminal like in the diagram, I want to use a transformer that will be engergized by the HUM terminal on the furnace. This way, it can humidify with heat or fan mode. The power to energize the humidistat display will come from the Tstat like in the diagram,

The problem is that I'm always always getting voltage at the H1 terminal on the humidistat. If I cycle it on or off, there's always 24V.

What am I missing?
    Thanks,
    Phil

Its probaly from the added transformer, not having a + and - terminal.
    Wire it the way the diagram shows, and see if it works, if not you may have shorted it out.
    Also, that 550 won't add much moisture with just the fan running, unless your using hot water.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Originally posted by beenthere
    Wire it the way the diagram shows, and see if it works, if not you may have shorted it out.
    This Totaline humidistat must be shorted out! I wired it like the diagram and it's trying to start the furnace and the humidifier without a call for heat from the Tstat; with the HStat in its off position.

Also, there is a continuous 22-24V (without a load) between the HUM and H1 terminals on the Humidistat, regardless of whether it's calling for humidity or not.

These things must be junk, it's the second one I've tried. The first one wouldn't even power up right out of the box.

The Totaline is about a $70 unit. It's a nice piece and looks good but I'm having unbelievable bad luck with them. Do you have any recommendations for a digital humidistat that won’t put me in the poor house?
    Thanks,
    Phil

Angry IDEA !

Call a Pro>Save yourself some MONEY and headaches./

Re: IDEA !

Originally posted by aircooled53
    Call a Pro>Save yourself some MONEY and headaches./
    I'm not a pro but I recently started working in the trade. I can read a simple wire diagram like the one for the humidistat I am referring to. It's not rocket science!!!!

This humidistat is defective, as was another one I tried to install. I need a pro to tell me that?

I've seen some of the work out in the field that certain so called "PRO's" have done, and some of it is pathetic to say the least.

You're not showing much if all you have to offer is "Call a Pro."
    Thanks for the tip though,
    Phil

I prefer simple humidistats, non digital.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?