Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Originally posted by spotts
    Thats too sneaky Madman. I'd just tell him the vacancy had been filled and Wal-Marts is always hiring.
    Spotts;

You have to know when to holdem, and when to foldem, and he sure isn't showing Ace King in the hole.

So the kid overslept on his first day on a new job.... big deal !! The reason I would tell him to get lost is because he lied to you right off the bat !!!Loss power?? Chances are slim to none !! Wallet stolen @ Wal-Mart?? Fat chance !!! The kid plainly overslept. Where he ****ed up was when he did not tell you the truth but made 3 more lies to cover the one !! I can give people numerous chances but once you lie to me I am done with you !!!

Beencool, I admire the way you have approched this
    there are times when it is best to give someone another chance, but I must say that most of the time , on the night before my "first day" at work , I am focused on the next day already, I am putting a tool box together- getting my lunch made up etc... a bad impression on a first day is usually hard to get over.
    I have worked jobs 200 miles from home, and driven it daily
    without being late - it's part of being responsible-

late or a no show on the first day shows how bad he needed the job

Originally posted by ct2

late or a no show on the first day shows how bad he needed the job [/B]
    \\

I think it goes quite a way to showing WHY he needed a job.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

well he showed up today, was 7 minutes late be he is here so lets see how it goes from here.

Tell him you

want him there by 8:00 then.

No way, not me. I am way too punctual. I would have been pissed by time he was 1 minute late. In my mind that kid shoulda showed up a half hour early to make up for yesterday. This kinda reminds my of the dog training the master...........
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Originally posted by dhvac
    well he showed up today, was 7 minutes late be he is here so lets see how it goes from here.
    Well guess you need to give him a little time if you dont have any other guys as an option but it looks like your dealing with a losing cause from his first impressions. I have a bad habit of giving guys more chances then I should . I wish I would just dump them the minute they start pushing their luck being when they are new and keep showing up late or doing things their own way and not mine just ends up wasting my time at training someone that will be a good worker over the long run. I will lay you odds that guy will be asking for a raise by the end of the month if he lasts that long.

Yeah I always believe in giving a guy enough rope for him to hang himself.

One guy I hired was suppose to be god's gift to refrigeration. Once he started working he didn't know sh!T.
    This make him a nevreous wreck. One day I sent him on a service call at the National Guard Armory. Didn't hear from him all day. Finally, since it was getting close to quiting time I went to the job site. Our truck was there. The gauges where still hooked up to the machine. Tools on the floor.

I called the shop to ask if any one saw this guy. The service manager told me in the mean time, that he called in said that he quit. Never saw the guy again. He never came back for his tools or his money. He was just GONE in mid-service call.

BeenCool; Geez you must suck to work for. haha or maybe he thought you were coming over with a gun.

Well one day many years ago I sent one of our guys to a strip joint that we did the service at. This was for a p/m on some ice machines, well you guessed it he never called in and spent the day. The next day at the shop he said he ran into some problems with the I/M's. Then he proceeded to tell the other guys what each girl did and for how long and as the day went on what the new girls did. Unknown to us, he had never been in a strip joint before. I saw to it that he wasn't at another one with us, atleast not on our time. It did make for some laughs at the Christmas parties over the years. Actually he did alot of accidentally funny stuff but was a great worker.
    "Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

I have a neighbor that is a gen contractor. He once told me that hecan usually tell if a guy is going to work out within the first 4 hours on the job. If the guy shows potential he stays, if not he gets a check at noon

7 min late today after not showing up at all the first day tells me you better get used to his habit

so if you are paying him $15.00 per hour it cost you $1.75 today for todays excuse. Lets add up how much he costs you each day for being late

BTW out here in cali- when your day starts at 7:00am- that doesnt include a ride to the jobsite, you boss is seeing a--holes and elbows at 7:00

My 1st 2 days where I'm at now were spent at home in bed. I came down with a nasty flu/cold, went to the Dr on sunday morning. He gave me some pills and told me absolutley no working or being around people for a day or 2. I called my soon to be boss at home told him the scoop. Found out a few days after I was working he was very impressed that I made the effort to call him at home, give him plenty of warning and was honest.

I'm probably not anywhere near the best employee, I'm not always on time (but most of the time I am), but overall I think I'm worth having. I don't have a problem with people being late (ie, 5 minutes, not much more than that), everyone deserves a chance to prove themselfs. But once you prove yourself for the worse, you've lost any more chances and respect.

I'm glad I'm not in a boss's shoes, but I'd sit him down and have a lil talk with him. See how things work out for the rest of the week and go from there.

Dump him before you get attached. I had it happen to me so many times I cant count. I had one guy tell me he couldnt show up for work one day because he had to drive his girlfriends mother to work. Worst part was he was doing it in a truck I let him take home at night so he could get to work on time.

You cant learn work ethics sitting on the couch mooching off your parents,playing on your playstation trying to figure out how to get to the next level!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast