Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy

I hired a kid who "needs a job" referred to me by my brother in law. Well I met with him over the weekend seemed like an ok kid told him be here at 8:30 this morning drew him a map wrote out directions because he is not familiar with the area. well he was not here as of 8:45 so I called him, he said power went out and alarm didn't go off, ok well it could happen, then he told me his wallet was stolen at Wal-Mart and my phone #'s were in it so he couldn't call, hmmmmm. Well I guess he doesn’t have phone book either and was unable to contact my brother in law to get my # which is where he got it from in the first place. I could not even imagine I have never missed a day in the first month of a new job. I just don’t get it I guess welfare is better than I thought if work is not a priority anymore. Probably shame on me or this but I cut him some slack told him if he was not here tomorrow on time he wouldn’t have a job. I know I should have told him never mind but I need help for now I just feel I’m making a big mistake here oh well I guess time will tell.

Get hold of res eric since he is looking for a "few good men" to do his RNC at $700/ton. Sounds like he could put him right to work.

He had his chance ! I wish you were in cali and I had that opertunity.

everyone has an excuse for being late , but never a reason for being on time.

Do you really think you are going to get ANY work out of him?

Yes, this is one of those times when you have to take a deep breath. Wait until tomorrow and then you will know for sure one way or the other. Sometimes you are pleasantly surprised when you do NOT act out of initial instincts.

dhvac; I think you got the story wrong. I believe he was at walmart stealing an alarm clock and wallet when the power went out. Thus how could he show up on time, he does sound industrious to me. He's a victim of bad timing thats all, give the poor kid another chance, geez.

Did you tell him to steal boots and some good work clothes, you want him to look good don't you?

I don't know your brother in law so i'm just asking, this kid wasn't his boy toy or anything like that right? Think a second before you answer you never know.

OK i've poked fun at you a little, but you sound like a nice honest guy and I hope it works out for both of you. Sounds like you could teach this kid the right way to be and a trade at the same time.

GOOD LUCK!
    "Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

I had a similar situation

I told the guy to forget it. Never looked back. Same situation, begged for work then overslept on the first day. That was all I needed. You should listen to Benn, not me. I fired my own son for being late 2 out of his 1st 3 days.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Sure.
    I bet his dog ate his homework too.
    He won't last a week.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Hirin's easy

It's the firin' that's hard.

Thank him for the heads up on his work ethic, at least.

Noel

Test him to see if he was lying to you. Ask him for his license. Tell him you need to make a copy for employment papers, you forgot. Then when he produces it, ask him how his wallet got stolen but his drivers license did not, and watch him squirm. Then you will atleast know his character and what you are dealing with.

Thats too sneaky Madman. I'd just tell him the vacancy had been filled and Wal-Marts is always hiring.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Maybe he has a social anxiety disorder and the first day on a new job was overwhelming so he "overslept".Once /if he shows up tommorow and relizes its not as bad as he thought he might do fine by ya.......lol, but maybe not....

I've lost count of how many times this has happened to me. Once it was my own cousin who changed his mind but was too timid to call. One dispatcher said she would be in on Monday to start as soon as she got out of traffic court and that should be early because they did it alphabetically and her name started with a "B". Didn't see her that day and started calling the next. On Wednesday, I reached her fiance who told me she had a good excuse, she got locked up! We've also had a couple go to lunch and not come back!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast