Thread: Theromostat placement???

bdr is offline Regular Member - bad email address Contact Admin
    Post Likes
    Ou new Hydro-Air (forced hot air & CAC)system is now installed and running. However, I have one small problem. We have a two-floor colonial with all bedrooms upstairs. Each floor is its own zone (with seperate air handlers & independent duct systems). We use programmable thermoststs to control operating costs. At night we set the downstairs at 55 degrees and the upstairs at 67. The problem is that the upstairs thermostat is located in the unheated hallway, a few feet from the return and the stairwell, and seems to be affected by the cool tempatures downstairs. The system seems to cycle frequently to keep the hallway at 67 degrees, but then the bedrooms get a bit too warm. The opposite happens in the morning when the downstairs system comes on. The hallway is warmd by the downstairs and the bedrooms get a bit too cool.

*The upstairs hallway is small (4ft X 15ft) with access to four bedrooms and a bath

*We sleep with several doors (unoccupied rooms) wide open
    to allow better retuen flow.

Any idesa to fix this problem?
    Should we move the thermostat to a bedroom?

Thanks for all your help!!

Post Likes
    don't recommend moving t-stat into bed room would look into pssibly putting t-stat further from stairwell. also need to look into addind returns to ea room to even things out

Post Likes
    Disagree - Even if every room had its own return they would still have problems if the T-Stat is in an unconditioned area. Move the T-Stat into the master bedroom.

Post Likes
    Thats what I would do,

Put return air in each bedroom, and move the stat to the mst bdrm.
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

Post Likes
    How would a return in each room help?

Post Likes
    what's the temp downstairs when the t-stat is set to 55?

Post Likes
    It does depend upon the outside weather somewhat...

In the moring (before the A.M. t-stat programming begins) the temperature is often at the set 55. Sometimes a bit above, never below.

We live in the Hudson Valley, about 60 miles north of NYC.

Post Likes
    then my opinion would be that you have your variables too great. these systems are actually designed to work in tandem, try setting the downstairs stat higher. 55 is pretty low.

Post Likes
    I agree billva, T-stat difference is too large. The ideal location for the stat is within 10 feet of the return. Even though the hallway is unconditioned (as are most), the return will pull conditioned air thru the hall therefor helping to maintain a comfortable temp through the entire area. Downstairs stat should probably be bumped to around 60, maybe even a little higher.

Post Likes
    OK, i see you point. I will try that. Thanks!

However, our main goal is to save some oil! Do you think I would get good results with the t-stat in the mstr bedroom?

Post Likes
    You'll spend more on oil dropping the room temp to 55 at night, unless you like your downstairs a comfy 58 when you're there.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Post Likes
    Depends on how far away the master bedroom is from the return. If the master is too far away and warms up quickly, the rest of the upstairs will be cold when the system shuts off. If you can reach a "happy medium" temp between the 2 floors, the systems will work together, saving oil and energy costs in the long run. Might just be something you have to experiment with. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in