Thread: Lennox oil furnace in the rain etc.

Post Likes
    Hi guys,

I have a few questions: a LENNOX installer company started work today in my house. I noticed they got no masks on (they told me no one gave them masks) and they were removing very old ductwork with "asbestos tape" on it. It's kind of asbestos insulation (?) that's thin like paper. The company says that that "asbestos tape" (it's not tape but all over from outside on the ductwork) is not harmful and only can harm if you swallow it.

Now about LENNOX oil furnace that's been there for 6 years and it supposed to stay there in the basement as I have not ordered to replace it. But the guys removed it to outside and it rains heavily now. Do you think the oil furnace will get damaged in some way while staying in the rain? The oil furnace filter probably is useless when wet. Well, it's not just oil furnace, but a furnace that's gonna be used to put a new ductwork and new heatpump on.

If it goes wrong once again I'm thinking of recalling this contract.

[Edited by enigma on 02-14-2005 at 12:47 PM]

Post Likes
    The furnace is junk now. The chamber inside is very water absorbant and it being rained on is sure to damage it, especially once it fires up (if it will at all). The electrical controls on the furnace, and there are many, are done too. I sure wouldn't want a safety control to stick and not work as intended. The furnace even dry is a average furnace. Install a new Thermopride oil furnace or go with a boiler and run air handlers instead<----much better option.

Post Likes
    Theres something average about that post alright,,

My question is why did they take it outside ?
    Did you tell them that it was staying ?

Weather it's junk now or not is not for us to say,
    We can't see whats going on.
    True that, it's not good for them, and we don't want see them wet. But I've A/C drain pans bust and soak a furnace for along time before someone sees it.
    I've seen units in a flooded basement and work for yrs after.

My point there is, being wet is not what we want, But to just blurt out it's junk, is simply a guess.
    Ask them why they did it, and make it know to the sales rep what happened. Get something in writeing to help you if they re-install it, and someting fails.
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

Post Likes

Contract says: "old furnace stays".

Thanks, let me explain - in the contract it says: add heatpump to an existing LENNOX oil furnace and replace/redesign all ductwork. So the guys knew what has to be done, but they probably forgot it or maybe their manager forgot to tell them that I KEEP THE FURNACE. Or maybe it is their sales tactic - to ruin my "old" oil furnace to get me a new one - but the only way I'm getting a new one is for free, because they possibly ruined not a very old 6 year furnace that ran well and now is all wet and without heat source in the house how they are gonna dry the furnace out.... I'm not sure what to do now. I'd really apreciate your opinions and what you would do if you were me. Thanks again.

Post Likes
    If the crew has already left,
    Call the company and tell them you want back in the basement before the end of thier shift.

If it's only been outside a short time I wouldn't be to worried.
    But if it's outside allnight, then you have a right to bitch.

If they get it back inside, have something put in writing that you want protected if something fails.

[Edited by Toolpusher on 02-14-2005 at 02:58 PM]
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

Post Likes
    there is a vey good chance you are overreacting but does not hurt to check. ask them about all your concerns but listen to what they tell you, if you hired the right company you'll get straight forward answers. if you hired the cheepest bid,(simply on the fact they were the cheepest) furnace isn't bad your choice was

Post Likes
    For someone to say your furnace is now junk is an idiot.

First off all, they should have at least covered it with a tarp, very poor workmanship, but i dought there is any damage. Cover it yourself with a piece of plastic and tell
    the salesman about your dissatisfaction and concerns.
    If they are a quality Company they will do the right thing.
    Take pictures of unit outside just in case.

Now the asbestos problem.I dont know if it is a Federal regulation or not but in Massachusetts we cannot touch and remove any asbestos $10,000 fine. Must have a licensed asbestos abatement company do the removal .

Post Likes
    Originally posted by wallynut
    For someone to say your furnace is now junk is an idiot.

First off all, they should have at least covered it with a tarp, very poor workmanship, but i dought there is any damage.
    You obviously don't work on oil fired furnaces, that is quite apparent. Your comments explain your level of ignorance....but no offense taken on my part, as I hope you read along and learn.

For those who would recommend this furnace to be used in THEIR home, how do you know the fan and limit control is still good after being drenched in water. You think Honeywell approves this condition? Don't think so. So, play it safe and change it...easy enough I suppose, it's only $40 plus labor. But the firebox no doubt has water contamination. You so called experts see what a fiberglass type firebox does when it's wet? I do, if it don't crack from the water being turned to steam when the burner eventually fires, it will curl and break in no time. Most times they just collapse, because they are NOT designed to absorb any water and they fall apart from the weight of the water. But I guess you could change the firebox too, right?....not worth it on a used Lennox. What about the insulation around the furnace?.... you know, the glued on stuff to the inner jacket that cannot sag and block air flow around the heat exchanger? You know what blocked air flow on a scorching hot x-changer does?....cracks it in a year or two and puts exhaust fumes and soot into the house.

The reality is, I've seen plenty of furnaces go under water since I service accounts right on the shoreline....it may work for awhile after draining, but the years following are loaded with service calls and parts changing. You gotta be kidding if you want to keep it. Good luck.

Post Likes
    to wallynut

In Ma. I beleive you are allowed to remove a 12 or 18 inch section for the purpose of repairs.
    The obvious is obvious

Post Likes
    Lennox employee's only do what the Lennox employer tells them to do. We are good slaves, we apply the lotion as our master requires.

Post Likes
    I dont think anyone said enigmas oil furnace was in a flood or Hurricane on the shoreline.Unless some one stuck a hose in the flue collar and turned it on for a few min.or it was left outside for a longer period of time I dought there is much of a problem.
    Some contractors try to sell homeowners new equipment just to make a buck, I think your six year old furnace is fine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in