Hybrid View

I have a Coleman dealer coming tomorrow to talk to me about replacing the Goodman heat pump and Mortex air handler/coil (that was in another thread) for my mobile home.

I just read the threads on the problems with Coleman mobile home furnaces; I'm in the Pacific Northwest (generally mild winters) and my old equipment was Coleman and working fine.

So, is there a problem with Coleman now?

First of all just like automobile manufacturers find items that cause them to do a recall and slight repair on many cars, the same happens to all manufacturers of furnaces and air conditioning systems. The problems are usually related to something that changed on the assembly line, something that was missed during assembly or a quality control issue. The problem is usually limited to a particular model or even a limited number of units within a particular serial number range.

When the problem is identified it is immediately rectified on the assembly line and then the factory makes an effort to do a recall (repair) on those that already left the factory. No manufacturer allows current units to ship knowing there is a problem. The distributors and dealers are kept informed of any problems they need to be aware of and what to do to rectify the problem.

Coleman has been making heating and cooling equipment for manufacturered homes perhaps longer than any other company. I was a Coleman dealer for years and always got great cooperation from them.

If you feel comfortable with the dealer who will be selling and installing your new system you should not be overly concerned with purchasing a new Coleman system.

Thank you!

Trane has 3 gas furnaces authorized for mobile homes too. Before I would replace all that new equipment I'd be getting someone over there different to see if they can figure it out first.

If you want a loud, low efficient furnace, with cheap doors and air Filtration systems, definetly go with that Coleman.

Do yourself a favor and get a high efficient furnace, you will NOT regret it.

Chad
    You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel...

http://rapalaguy.spaces.live.com/

I'll try to address all the suggestions...

Since I was offered a full refund, I'd rather just go with outdoor/indoor matching equipment instead of having this diagnosed by another company and pay for diagnosis/repair while I'm under full warranty and have to continue dealing with three different manufacturers.

Gas is not available here, so it has to be electric and that eliminates the mobile home Trane. Also, this state has not certified Carrier for mobile homes (and Carrier decided not to bother after being told how much it would cost since their equipment is mobile home certified in 48 states). If I want Carrier, I can get the heat pump, but have to go with something else inside if the state allows it.

My old equipment was Coleman inside and outside; it was not noisy (the current equipment is much noisier) and worked flawlessly and very efficiently for 21 years (furnace) and 16 years (heat pump).

I do want good quality and energy efficiency, but I also have to deal with this state's department of labor & industries, so I'm at a disadvantage.

York makes colman units, if you have been happy with them buy another set.. Someone on this post explained the process of units being made defectively and everything he said was true. By the time that manufacture announces a recall , they already know the reason for the problem and have corrected it

If you are getting a full refund after 26 yrs of service , you made money on the deal already

Just to correct a misunderstanding....

No, I am not getting a refund after 26 years - I had a new Goodman heat pump, Mortex air handler and coil installed last year and there is another thread in this forum on all the problems I've experienced in the past 10 months. I'm still under full warranty for all that new stuff, so that is what I am getting a refund for. And, since the problems were not diagnosed - the installer opted to give me my money back rather than diagnose/test and/or repair/replace - I have no idea what all was wrong, so I don't want to go with the same equipment, just in case.

Originally posted by NormChris

First of all just like automobile manufacturers find items that cause them to do a recall and slight repair on many cars, the same happens to all manufacturers of furnaces and air conditioning systems. The problems are usually related to something that changed on the assembly line, something that was missed during assembly or a quality control issue. The problem is usually limited to a particular model or even a limited number of units within a particular serial number range.

When the problem is identified it is immediately rectified on the assembly line and then the factory makes an effort to do a recall (repair) on those that already left the factory. No manufacturer allows current units to ship knowing there is a problem. The distributors and dealers are kept informed of any problems they need to be aware of and what to do to rectify the problem.

Coleman has been making heating and cooling equipment for manufacturered homes perhaps longer than any other company. I was a Coleman dealer for years and always got great cooperation from them.

If you feel comfortable with the dealer who will be selling and installing your new system you should not be overly concerned with purchasing a new Coleman system.

This Guy Works For The Company....Beware!

stay away from any york product. they work fine but when they get over 10 years old they cut supplying replacement parts...