Thread: furnace troubleshooting

Post Likes

Question

I am an HVAC student troubleshooting a furnace at school. The furnace works, but it takes forever to start. When I turn the t-stat to call for heat, I can hear the spark ignition clicking for about three minutes before it ignites. can I please have everyone opinion. Thanks.

Post Likes
    Man, I'd love to help, BUT, are you going to call me on every service call you go on??? Get out your meter...

Post Likes

There are only three things necessary for the burner to light.

1)Fuel
    2)Oxygen (air)
    and
    3) Ignition

You seem to have ignition. You need to determine which of the remaining two are missing. One of the other two is delayed for some reason.

Post Likes
    Look for stuff like not enough gas to the pilot..

Sparking in the right spot?

But first, Make, Model, and Serial Number.

Post Likes

To add to your lesson, determine if the ignition system is direct spark ignition or intermittent pilot ignition. Learn the various ignition system types and look at every furnace you service and determine which ignition system it uses.

Post Likes

Lightbulb thanks

Thanks everybody for your info. I only had a second to look at it in class. It's tomarrow's project. I will get the make,model,serial. And of course pull out that meter. I will also study the different ignition types. Thanks again and more info is always welcome.

Post Likes
    You don't generally run into it using direct spark but too much fuel can cause ignition problems. Sometimes intermittant pilot ignitions using spark will have trouble if the pilot adjust valve is opened up too far. Some older Heil, Tempstar and Arcoaire units are known for this.

[Edited by golan37 on 02-08-2005 at 09:32 PM]

Post Likes

Purchase a copy of the following book.

"Medium and High Efficiency Gas Furnaces" by ESCO Press

Written by Richard Jazwin

This book covers all the different ignition systems plus the sequences of operation for various furnace types. Well worth reading. It will give you a good foundation on gas furnaces.

Norm

Post Likes
    The chances are you are running into a delay. In a school lab environment the power is off until you are ready to play with the unit. On some systems you have a delay when the power is restored to the system. It could very well be a pre-purge built into the system to allow any trapped gases to disapate or burn off prior to starting a new ignition sequence
    DjC

Post Likes

Re: thanks

Originally posted by student22
    Thanks everybody for your info. I only had a second to look at it in class. It's tomarrow's project. I will get the make,model,serial. And of course pull out that meter. I will also study the different ignition types. Thanks again and more info is always welcome.

Sorry I just had to laugh being its tomorrows project I might think the teacher would be going over it with you. Well at least you thinking to be getting the serial and model Number being you should probably have it figured out by tomorrow I would hope. Now if you said it was a friends or your dads but the schools? Is this the school of a shot in the dark? No training, just let the guys look at it and if after a few days of trying to figure it out and you dont get it , tell you how ? I DONT GET IT , I THINK IM GOING TO ROLL UP MY PANT LEGS.

Post Likes

Talking ha ha

dec thats funny. That is exactly how my teacher teaches. He is retired miitary and wants you to think for yourself, accumulat resources, hit the books, attempt hands on. And then if you don't get it maybe he will tell you. At first I thought it was a little wierd, but I started doing really well on refrigeration an ac: for a student of course. I really enjoy doing it. thanks again for everyones knowledge, and I will always take more info.

Post Likes
    most likely the spark is not in the gas.

Post Likes
    More than likely the instructor has rigged it to not fire correctly, so I would look for something that he may have done to bug it without spending to much effort on it, they usualy do something simple because it takes less time to do and to fix.

Post Likes
    I hope they have told you all of the ways to ignite the flame/burners. The saftys are the first step and is one thing you can allways count on. It will allways be the same with fuel systems. If you have no ignition then look to what you do have and most times you will see it. Use your meter to isolate problems. It can be easy at times and other times you need to really look. Thats what makes it fun for me and allot of other guys.
    Free cooling and heating all at the wrong time of year.

Post Likes
    I really dont have anything to say other than....

<-------Look 2000 posts!!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in