OK guys, a buddy who is on well water put a new hot water heater in his house, a couple of months go by and his hot water is stinking to high heaven like rotten eggs, installed a different anode rod in heater, ran about 2 weeks then smell came back. Cut the rod off, flushed tank, ran about a month and smells again. Any ideas on what he can do to take the smell out of the hot water?
    If you dont stand behind our troops, please feel free...........to stand in front of them.

There is bacteria growing in the tank. You can pump a small amount of bleach in it and let it sit a little then flush it out.
    Temporary fix if it's in the water.The whole system may need to be flushed also.

But best bet would be to get the water analyzed.

Oh and it is not a HOT water heater, it's a water heater.

Well lets see here,i`ts the chinese year of the chicken now.
    Does your buddy have any chinamen with outhouses living near him?

odors

He has sulfides in the water

Try http://www.waterheaterparts.net and order a KD-90 anode

Its a special anode that uses a combination of aluminum,zinc and tin to fight odors

Yep j caused by bacteria

ODOR CONTROL IN WATER HEATERS

By Bill Andresen, Sask Water, Outlook
    An offensive rotten egg odor can sometimes develop in hot water systems. This odor is hydrogen sulphide gas which can be dissolved in the water or caused by bacterial action. It may be unnoticeable in the cold water, when the bacterial metabolism is at a low level. But when heated the bacteria flourish on the tank walls and soon make their presence known with the offensive odor.

In most cases, hydrogen sulphide gas problems in hot water tanks can be easily controlled or eliminated by either disinfection or minor changes to the tank. Yet many people have spent thousands of dollars on treatment equipment to correct a $10 problem. Two possible solutions are chlorine disaffection and magnesium anode removal.

I had that problem in my old house. It all began after I installed a whole house filter. Turned out to be iron bacteria that was growing in the filter.

Just axin but wouldnt it be a good idea to have that water source looked at again. Or is it possible that the water table is up so high the earth isnt filtering the water,

or does he live close to a refinery or other industrial area like that swamp in buffalo a few years ago