Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    1st you said:
    "Give me the calcs"
    I took this as: do the calcs and give them to me...

Then you said:
    did I say anywhere I wanted printed, hard-copy calcs for free? No.

Sorry if I misunderstood.
    I apologise if i ofended you.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Lets keep this civalized guy's... Back to the topic, yes some good points are brought up here. I decided to put it here in the residential sec instead of the gen discussion (because) more homeowners come here for their problems and not for the techs or companies problem. My point on this thread and to learn from was a homeowners point of view, what makes them interested in what brand and contractor and why? Our field and industry has fallen greatly because we as business owners and techs do not inform the homeowner of the new equipment and advantages of it, So there is no one to blame here, I as I was once a tech everytime i went into a homeowners home I showed them literature of new equipment out on the market.especially if their equipment was over 15 years old. Not to make a sale but to inform them of what is there. If a homeowner asked me for info i was more than happy to explain it,and to show them the advantages and disadvantages of the equipment. Now in our high tech world of living there are so many differant things out there. I made this thread to inform homeowners and to learn from them what they know or dont know about hvac. A furnace and air conditioner runs more than your average automobile. It lasts longer than your average automobile. We trade our vehicles in every 5 to 8 years, our heating and air systems just fade away. They average 15 to 20 years. Think about it.Lets just stay on topic here. Thanks all.

BoltonNC... no offense taken. But, you have perfectly illustrated my point about how a misunderstanding can occur with an HO. I would not want that to hurt your future biz growth so that's why I made the suggestions I did.

9mmnow... I coudn't agree more... and that's why I shared my thoughts about what I learned as an HO and from the pros here. I hope you -- and Bolton and others -- are able to take advantage of all the posts in this thread of yours to build your biz.

kampeh... thanks... but, just like me, you are not a mod. So, start your own thread.

Why thank you for the hijack d-bill couldnt of done better my self

RE: Question for Homeowners

I must say when I choose a Service company, I look for someone on the road in a clean company vehicle. That says a lot of a company in my eyes.

Call me dumb.

Appearances are important

I have to agree with Mojo about the look of a company vehicle. One time I was thinking about getting a geothermal heat pump system and had learned of a company which was said to have expertise in that. Then I saw a really cruddy beat-up, dented small pickup carrying that company's logo. That made me far more unlikely to choose that company for any work, it suggested to me they had shallow roots and if things got at all tough for them, they would fold.

This doesn't apply to *all* contractors but it surely does for HVAC. For example I am especially inept when it comes to plumbing problems, and called a plumber thru a warranty company. They turned up in a really crummy sedan that dripped oil on my driveway -- I cared a little about the oil but if they had enough expertise to fix my problem (they did) then I was satisfied with them overall.

This illustrates how I see HVAC as a much more sophisticated operation than the slow-drain plumbing problem I had. It is a certainty that a house HVAC system will not perform well until it is matched up with a good flowing duct system, and these are always specific to the house.

Regards -- P.Student

no one has mentioned the need for good information, not just a slick sales gimick stating that these sizes & colors are available, nothing as to preformance data, nothing as to accessories available & what each does --

are 13SEER systems really going to last 20 years?, even 15?

Do you really look at trucks and determine who you will call to service your equipment ? I find that amazing, The tradition is that the most prestigous companies out there have no lettering on their trucks and it is for a couple of very very good reasons.

This thread demonstrates the problems that prompted 9mmnow's OP - he wanted HOs opinions so that he could better his business. HOs and contractors both have provided good suggestions, AND revealed what are some of the biggest problems for both HOs and contractors. As a HO - this is what I have learned here and I think it speaks to the OP (contractor).

HOs
    1)The fear of being ripped off (actual or in their opinion) or dissatisfied with part or all of the job - hack/mismatched installations AND/OR lack of understanding by HOs are usually the cause. Solution - Not all HOs are going to self-educate so ultimately the contractor has to take the lead. This will benefit HO,contractor, and industry in general. Maintaining integrity and professionalism helps everyone (no assumptions).

Contractors
    Be professional - don't assume ANYTHING. Experience is very important but EVERY house is different, treat my system as if it were your own. If you are not going to take the time to do a proper load calc, ask questions, and educate me so that I can be a better customer and make an informed decision - then don't waste your time or mine. Choose your battles - if you have a customer that is only interested in price and doesn't care to be informed, give them an honest price and walk away if they only want to low ball you. You will never change all the HOs - but if you are a quality contractor, you already know the value of an informed and happy customer - and ultimately the industry is responsible for the systems and level of satisfaction of your customers.

P.S. - Professionalism is demonstrated everywhere, including appearance of personnel, vehicles, respect for property (HO and business). Lack of it just gives HO a reason to diminish trust in you and question everything you say or do thereafter (justified or not). This hurts your business and the industry in general.

First thing I want to know about is competancy -- I've had extremely bad luck in that department. Maybe 1 out of 5 serviceman from 2 separate companies seemed to actually know what he REALLY was doing.
    Price would be second -- it's hard to put a price on good service.
    Honesty & integrity would be next ...

Fat Eddy said...

>>Do you really look at trucks and determine who you will call to service your equipment ? I find that amazing..

I am surprised you think it makes no difference (if indeed I am reading your meaning correctly). Someone can *lose* my consideration based on looking like they are barely scraping by, but that won't *win* my business unless it's a tie-breaker. Does a rational homeowner want to deal with someone who looks "here today, gone tomorrow"? You may have mis-read what I was trying to communicate.

>>The tradition is that the most prestigous companies out there have no lettering
    >>on their trucks and it is for a couple of very very good reasons.

Here is where I am amazed. Tradition? A couple of very good reasons? Please do tell why a HVAC business would want to conceal its identity at any time.

Regards -- P.Student

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by fat eddy
    Do you really look at trucks and determine who you will call to service your equipment ? I find that amazing, The tradition is that the most prestigous companies out there have no lettering on their trucks and it is for a couple of very very good reasons.

Just the opposite in our area.Why would a contractor not want the truck to have his name on it??

Originally posted by fat eddy
    This makes no sense unless you don't want free advertising everywhere you drive.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast