Confused

Hey all, just wanted to pick your brains a little.
    Had a call on a 12 year old variable speed Carrier Infinity m# 58VUA060GG. Initially had a fault code 42(inducer RPM out of range). Checked out fault code history and found 31, 32, 42 and 43. Checked all obvious ie. blocked exhaust/intake venting, ventor induction pressure, gas pressure, stat closure, condensate drains, pressure switches and associated tubing.
    Now, it's hard for me to know where to even start explaining what it is that I saw. The faults I found were extremely erratic leading me to automatically think BOARD? Code 42 would appear after power cycling without the ventor even starting or only breifly starting. Gas valve would drop out and fault 31, 32 with no actal pressure switch opening. Separated venting and still no change. Tried altering DIP switches one at a time on control board to isolate LO fire/HI fire from emergeny heat switch setting hoping to determine if the microprocessor for variable operation was the culprit. No definate conclusion reached.
    I could probably go on and on, but, was just hoping that someone else had experienced something like this with this same model furnace. If anyone has other tech specs, it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I do remember a problem similar to that and insulation was flapping over the blower causing it to act erratically the board is logging the first fault it finds which makes it seem erratic although it really isn't there is a problem there, check everything pull filters out check drains remove flue do the whole nine yards it'll turn-up.

Anything to do with airflow and potential restrictions was eliminated. Condensate drains, tubing, collector blockage all suspect but not the problem. The only thing I did notice that was definately suspect is that sometimes at the point of main burner ignotion, the high fire pressure switch would actually open for a split second, but not always causing the valve to drop out. You have to remember that even getting ignition was a chore. I was getting code 42 most of the time without the ventor even energizing or energizing for a few seconds.

Code 31-high fire pressure switch open
    Code 32-lo fire presure switch open
    Code 42-inducer RPM out of range

Any help is a big help. Thanks.

The only advice I could give you is going to be redundant go to square one and check all wire conections,verify volages, verify grounding, read the manual, consult Carrier, sorry but thats the routine if you can't put your figure on it.

Pull the inducer and collector box and look in at the secondary HX, its got some white teflon looking crap that has come loose down inside the tubes and is flopping around. This makes the inducer operate erratic like. If this is the case... replace the secondary, its a 2 hr job. I cant recall if the collector box comes with it but replace it too, its probably metal and the replacement is plastic.

Originally posted by docholiday
    Pull the inducer and collector box and look in at the secondary HX, its got some white teflon looking crap that has come loose down inside the tubes and is flopping around. This makes the inducer operate erratic like. If this is the case... replace the secondary, its a 2 hr job. I cant recall if the collector box comes with it but replace it too, its probably metal and the replacement is plastic.
    This furnace too new to have the excess silicone deal or a metal collector... The furnace you are thinking of had the inducer control originally mounted to the left of the inducer on the cabinet sidewall and didn't give codes like this. For the OP, look closely at your vent run, I'd bet there is water or debris in the pipes. I've removed rocks, golf balls, tennis balls, matchbox cars, sand, etc.

If my memory serves me right I thought we were dealing with a two stage 80 % furnace with that VUA suffix I thought it was a variation of the TUA which I am sure was a two stage 80 % I had one in my house. I don't recall it having two exchangers wasn't the 90 plus unit an MVP or SXC something like that.

are you sure about the age of that model i didnt think variable speed had been around that long , had a similar experuence with an mvp on lp that they went to all the trouble converting the unit but didnt set gas pressure ran for a year then cooked a burner started getting erratic codes , replaced the burner set hi& LO PRESSURE fixed it right up
    ACMAN

I just went through hell with Carrier Infinity furnace and it was giving me exaclty same error codes. Sometimes 31, sometimes 32 and sometimes 42. In my case furnace would fail just in high heat mode: when it run in previous cycle hard and restarts new cycle in high heat mode. Then error would pop up, it would retry many times in eventually succeed or no. Reseting power on furnace then would also help as it would reset furnace to start in low heat mode.
    My problem was venting. One part of vent pipe was not sloping (!!!!! Very important) towards furnace and that made all the difference. Furnace installation manual states that venting pipe should slope at least 1/4 in per feet towards furnace. In my case I saw a lot of water dropples coming out of the venting pipe while furnace was working in high heat mode. Problem was resolved after company reinstalled all pipes.

Regards,

VM.

I agree with doc. When the secondary hx is plugged or partially plugged, it can make you pull your hair out trying to rationalize the codes. Last one I had, the carrier wouldn't heat the house during colder temps cause it would lock out when it went to high heat mode, or it would intermittantly cut out in low heat. Removed collector box and what a mess inside the tubes.