Thread: Opening service valves

Post Likes
    With full charge in condensor (service valves closed), which valve would you open first? I remember the part about opening the valve slowly to keep the oil in the compressor, but for some reason I can't remember which one to open first.

Post Likes

open...

...liquid line first

Post Likes
    after a leak test or pressure test of the system and an evac of lines and coil are completed you must open the liquid line valve 1st

Post Likes
    I've heard and practice this also... but I've never really heard of an answer. My belief is because this is the way the refrigerant would normally flow (and wouldn't try to flow backwards throught the compressor).

So whats the professional answer y'all?

Post Likes
    Pull Vac. Add any Additional refrigerant by weight required because of line set length and dryer Volumn, Add through Liquid line, release slowly liquid line first, when equalized open vapor side. and above all have fun.
    Experiance is learning what doesn't work.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the replies. The light bulb just went on. I was taught to first crack the liquid line (slowly). The reason I was told was because if the vapor line was opened first that the escaping gas could draw the compressor oil with it. Don't know if it's true, but that's what I was taught in school.

Post Likes
    Exactly right pop, but remember to use a VAC guage and pull to at least 400 microns. Then pressure test to ensure no leaks.

Post Likes
    Don't you mean pres. test first then vac?
    The obvious is obvious

Post Likes
    Liquid line first, because if you open the suction line first you will pull liquid back through the compressor (scroll)and have liquid laying in the compressor on startup. On recips remember those valves are not 100% when the unit is not running if you have liquid laying in the piston head it will migrate to the low side. Another reason is that you could suck oil out of the compressor by opening the low side first.There are just a a whole slew of reasons for doing it that way, and no good reasons for doing it the other way.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in