Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: duct board

I've never seen rats eat through ductboard but have seen 2" pvc air vent chewed in half by them. They tend to chew where they think water is.

Ductboard is good for many applications. I tend to feel that most people use it due to the reduced labor and cost.

BTW, don't use the triangle boxes with your flex, only wyes.

Lightbulb

I've never seen rats eat through ductboard but have seen 2" pvc air vent chewed in half by them. They tend to chew where they think water is.

Ductboard is good for many applications. I tend to feel that most people use it due to the reduced labor and cost.

BTW, don't use the triangle boxes with your flex, only wyes.

that would be my guess to why it's used so much .....

ductdr, I use GlassMaster hand tools on Owens 475. I have used them for 10 years with no trouble. I have never tried the "V" groove method. I had a portable machine once but, I sold it cause it was to much to handle. I have never seen mice eat through ductboard. Sometimes get flak from some of the guys around here,not so much anymore.Ductboard has it's place as does sheet metal. We try to do a little of everything ductboard, sheet metal, ductless a/c, infloor heat{my favorite but,pricey}.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it!!

My hand tools are Amcraft 1100 (red), and 1102 (blue). The red has 90 degree "V" cut, and the blue is the end cut off tool. They work great on any 1" ductboard, 475 as well as 800. We just got a pallet of the new Certainteed (sp) last week with a new coating on it, and I love it. Has the feel of 800 board at the cost of 475.

Thank god someone sgrees with me central. I cant stand to see ductboard triangles used. Yet my boss insists on them, says it couts down on cost. But it also cuts down on airflow.

Hey batdude, sounds like your buddy needs to invest in a couple cats...what ya think. And if you think pulling a mouse out of a furnace is bad, try pulling a possum out of a package unit. Talk about nasty. A dealer told me a while back that some of the newer ductboard has a chemical in it to prevent mold and is suppose to be quite effective on mice as well. Don't know how true that is though.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by duct dr
    Thank god someone sgrees with me central. I cant stand to see ductboard triangles used. Yet my boss insists on them, says it couts down on cost. But it also cuts down on airflow.
    Try a ductboard box sized as follows;

For a 14" flex,use a 14X14 box,about 2' long,taper it(not a triangle),to 12X12 or 10X10,depending on the next size "trunk" flex run.If there is no further trunk,just branch ducts,taper it to 10X10.

Follow the same idea for other flex sizes.

I think what bb and central were trying to say is dont use ductboard triangles to split the airflow, ex. 8-6-6 or 7-5-5. use a metal wye instead. and I have to agree there. and only split the air going to 2 outlets in the same room if at all possible. I prefer to run all my branch ducts seperate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12