Guys, I've kinda inherited a house -- the house my wife grew up in we moved into when we got married last year.

Just looking at the markings on the furnace it says it's a Chrysler Airtemp. The model # looks to be CU20-30. Says it "produces 1200" and "CFM at .35". None of the numbers make sense to me and I can't find anything on the web to even tell me the age of this unit. I know it's electric (100 amp power is run to it in #2 wire)

I'm assuming it's pretty old but any idea ?

We're remodelling an addition and want to connect it to the central air unit but the furnace is already having trouble heating the home on the below 30 days so I hate to make it worse. Plus dirt in the crawlspace had slowly crumbled over time and piled itself up on two sides of the furnace. I dug it that out back down to the concrete pad it's installed on but there is some rust at the base of the unit on those two sides.

Just looking for opinions.....time to replace the whole unit or can something be done to get more out of it ? The whole house with addition is only 1500 square feet.

Thanks for any thoughts on the subject.

Steve

If you're adding onto the house, consider scrapping that old Chrysler for a heat pump and ductwork sized for the house with the new addition. Do it all at once and be done with it, and you'll be far happier than just trying to patch up what you have now.

One thing I would personally do upon inheriting a house is to check the quality of the insulation, windows, weather seals, etc. You might be able to lump in some of these costs with the addition, a "while we're at it we might as well" catagory. If you have to insulate the new addition, it won't be much more to have more insulation added to the rest of the house.

If you plan to make insulation and weatherization improvements, I would do that prior to buying new equipment for the house. Then, have a proper heat load calculation done and you'll know what size equipment the house should have, not some hack's guess.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

I second that motion.

An electric furnace of unknown virtue?
    Already not performing?
    Adding more house to the existing?
    A new one is absolutely the right way to go.

What shophound said is EXACTLY on target.

Thanks guys. That's what I needed. Just a dose of reality ? haha

Just no experience here....I had a gas furnace in my last house and it was much newer so I didn't have any real problems -- plus great heat. Just not what I was hoping to hear since I've got about $18,000 going into the work on the addition.

The windows are newly replaced so that's a start. I have to find out about the insulation in the walls but the insulation for the attic over the house and garage is inadequate.

Any idea how old this furnace is ? Any way to tell ? 70's most likely ?

Thanks again !

Steve