+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Washer/Dryer and Refrigerator brands

Post Likes
    I need to buy new ones. I want to spend around $1200 for the fridge and $800 for the washer/dryer. I have natural gas in the laundry room. What brands are the best? Should I stick with an electric dryer or go with gas? Thanks for any advice.

Post Likes
    I'd spend less for the fridge and more for the laundry!

Check into some kind of front load washer. I have a Sears (Westinghouse) after the ancient front load died. I wouldn't go back to top load for anything. Amazing cleaning, use little water, close are virtually dry when done spinning. Seems that more & more brands are going front load.

We have a Sears outlet here in town where returns and floor models go. My $749 washer was $399. I got a $849 electronic control gas dryer for $429 (in black!!!). My side by side with ice & water in the door was $500 something. Probably would have been $800-900 in the store and I see no blemishes in it.

Check Consumer Reports. Even though few like their furnace ratings, they really test home appliances and have some good info.

Post Likes
    Look into Fisher Paykel for the washer/drier. You'll have to go to an appliance store to find them though. They don't have the yuppie pricetag of a Miele, but they are excellent machines. I have a washer, and I would have had a drier too, but when my drier crapped out, and I went to buy a Fisher Paykel, they wouldn't get any in for a week.

The spin speeds on the washer are like 2x as fast as a conventional. When it gets up to speed, it sounds like a jet engine (not quite as loud of course, but it just sounds damn fast). Fast spins cut down on drying time and $$

Also, the washer has no transmission. It has a direct drive motor, and very few moving parts. Just check it out.

http://usa.fisherpaykel.com/

Post Likes
    Originally posted by hvacmd2002
    Look into Fisher Paykel for the washer/drier. You'll have to go to an appliance store to find them though. They don't have the yuppie pricetag of a Miele, but they are excellent machines. I have a washer, and I would have had a drier too, but when my drier crapped out, and I went to buy a Fisher Paykel, they wouldn't get any in for a week.

The spin speeds on the washer are like 2x as fast as a conventional. When it gets up to speed, it sounds like a jet engine (not quite as loud of course, but it just sounds damn fast). Fast spins cut down on drying time and $$

Also, the washer has no transmission. It has a direct drive motor, and very few moving parts. Just check it out.

http://usa.fisherpaykel.com/
    I just got back from Lowe's and was looking at these. I think I'm going to go back with my truck and get one. It's just over $600 and has a stainless tub, electronic controls, and the spin speed is 1000RPM. The tag says that it has a DC motor. I'm thinking that it has a frequency drive.

Post Likes
    If your wife does the laundry just get a scrub board and a clothes line and use the savings on yourself.

Post Likes
    I just bought an LG front load washer and matching gas dryer. Less $ than others with loads of features, at first my wife crowed about how much I spent vs conventional machines but now after a week she loves them... I'd never go back to a top loader, spin speed is awesome, clothes are cleaner... etc. I even did a load to check them out, since everything was up to spec I turned the laundry back over to her!

Post Likes
    I got the Whirlpool Duet front loaders a couple of years ago and the little lady was a convert after one wash load. The high spin speed (900 rpm) really helps to shorten drying times. The front doors plus the pedestals makes access really easy as opposed to bending over a top loader.

Post Likes
    Picked up the Fisher Paykel washer this afternoon. Did a couple of loads in it tonight. It loads from the top but works similarly to a front load washer and doesn't use a lot of water. The spin cycle is the neat part though. It really does sound like a turbine when it gets up to speed and this really wrings the water out of the clothes. The washer is efficient because it's not using a lot of water but the bigger efficiency gain is shorter drying times.

Post Likes
    With it spinning that fast I wonder if the motor locked up in mid spin what would happen? Would the machine itself then take off or what?

Post Likes
    fisher and pykel are made in either Austraila or New Zealand.

Personally we have had the front load maytag neptune for 4 yrs and My wife does on average 2 loads a day every day
    we have not had any prioblems except when a pen got washed and left blue ink stains in the dryer (graffetti remover got them off)

fridge and stove go for the kitchen aid
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in