Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    a 230lb. man fell 8 ft. from a step ladder. his safety belt caught him at 1 ft. from the floor. how much psi was put on the safety harness?

None, unless he was wearing it.

Question

LOTS. I don't know a lot of people that would wear a safety harness on an 8' ladder...?

Although you never see it OSHA requirement says anything over 6' you need to be saftey harnessed.

Even if the harness stops you a foot above the ground you still get smacked alot worse then just simply falling.
    Did he have his safety line hooked on the first rung or what?
    work to live not live to work

low level bungee jumping
    death defying dangerous sport I'd say

on an 8ft ladder you are theoritcly not higher than 6ft if you are not using the top 2 steps as you should not do.
    secondly safety belts are illegal as a fall arrest device (a harness is the correct term/device)thirdly the ladder must have been 10 ft or 12 ft as that is the max height for a step ladder (in most cases) exactly what do you mean by caught 1ft from the floor did he stop 1 ft clear of the floor with his feet or did the harness and safety line start deceleration.
    theoricty the fall totally was 7ft
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Originally posted by reverunbilly
    a 230lb. man fell 8 ft. from a step ladder. his safety belt caught him at 1 ft. from the floor. how much psi was put on the safety harness?
    OK, I'll take a stab at it.

An object from rest accelerates in free fall at 32 ft./sec/sec. At 8 ft, he would be travelling 4 ft/sec

E=MC^2

230 lbs x 4 ft/sec^2 =

(230)(16)=

3680 ft. lbs. of force
    TB
    Everyone knows something I don't.

2 Chronicles 7:14
    14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

In order to complete the calculations we'll need the barometric pressure of the area he was in.
    And if he had man boobs or not.

If you're not supposed to use the top two steps, then why the hell do they put them on there??????

Lets ee......I used a 6' ladder probably a dozen or more times last week and I only stood on the top rung 90% of the time so I'm safe.

When the guy fell and he crashed through the suspended cieling, did that slow him down thus reducing the amount of pressure on his harness?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast