+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bob Villa

Post Likes
    I was watching this old house & some time I wonder if Bob Viila knows what he is talking about.Its like when your boss comes to the field everyone listen but when he leaves everyone says has he done this before I really think someone tells him what to say.What do you think?

Post Likes
    Ya, I can believe it.... I think he's a little arrogent... I prefer watching This Old House with Norm Abram...

Post Likes
    I have to agree with you.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Post Likes
    I've heard some remodelers say he's an idiot and that many of the products used are crummy, but Vila gets extra $$$$ for using them on the show. So does that make him Poncho Vila?

Post Likes
    Norm Abram is the man if he tells you something then you know it is right.

Post Likes
    yup villa stinks
    Still learning opinions welcome.

Post Likes
    So does that make him Poncho Vila?
    See' Seeeee

he's a putz

Post Likes
    Norm rules.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Post Likes

TV set

I was involved in setting up some fireplaces on the set of The Early Show with Jane Clayson(smokin' hot!)for a segment with Danny Lipford about 3 yrs ago. All the hands were saying what world class pricks Bob Villa and Bryant Gumble were. They said Martha Stewart was ok to them. We had to wait for Martha's kitchen to be dismantled in order for us to setup. BTW, the Green Room is Blue. They had mueseli cereal with soy milk--figures for NYC--yuk! Mark McEuwen(sp?), the weather guy was really funny and down to earth, even in his leather trench coat & hat.
    All this was Jan. after 9/11. Couldn't bring an LP tank into the city and we couldn't drive our truck through the tunnels. Had to loop all the way around through lovely Staten Island over the Manhattan Bridge, then zig-zag up to Midtown at Trump Plaza. Had to park the 14ft cube van in front of the hotel 'cause no garage tall enough. The rooms in the Plaza were worse than an Red Roach Inn--what a joke for $450/night.

All the grips and stage hands were union and didn't want to help us even when the segment producer greased some palms. We were leaving and I needed some water to take some aspirin. The biggest, grouchiest A-hole of them all smiled and handed me an entire case of bottled water! Can't even judge people...

Post Likes
    Bob Villa,

I think he don't get it myslef. Maybe he does, but he fits the stereotype of a guy like that. But you know, thats the way we true tradesman would see him.

He is a hit with the general public. We just see him as one of those idiots.

I enjoy the heck out of Hometime. Now, that guy, he's not afraid to show on "his show" that he makes very good on educating himself before he try's something. They are always using new innovative products and practices. Some of that stuff may be the cheapest crap, but they don't truly not admit to that, because they always make a point to say an alternative more expensive method may suit you better. I always wonder though about, the chicks, He's been through 3 I can remember. Was he ever married to them or even maybe an affair, then it broke off? Sure is weird.

The log Cabin build shows are the absolutely greatest.

What I would love to do one day. I got em on CD.

Post Likes
    Hometime I liked it better when his first wife was on the show.

Post Likes
    Never married to any of them, just a put on for the show...

http://www.hometime.com/About/faqs.htm#q5

[Edited by control_noob on 02-11-2005 at 09:01 PM]

Post Likes
    What's up with Dean and all his "wives"?
    Okay, here's the story. Dean is not now—and never has been—married to any of his co-hosts. He is happily married, however.

So they just lied to use.

Post Likes
    The New Yankee Workshopb with Norm Abram.

Great show.

Post Likes
    Dice reminds me of Bob Vila

Post Likes
    How much money do you think Bob has made from promoting those hi-velocity systems?

Post Likes
    I love it when Norm is building a piece of furnature and makes a comment about something being "easy".

Like yeah Norm, if I had a workshop with a million dollars worth of woodworking equipment, it probably would be easy!
    Now can you explain to me how to do it with just a cheep table saw and a Dewalt kit?

Post Likes
    Mark Beiser;

Now can you explain to me how to do it with just a cheep table saw and a Dewalt kit?

YES- poorly.
    I like bob villa better then both the guys who came after him, Norm's great but please norm back off on all those big bucks tools. Then maybe we would have a chance.
    "Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Post Likes
    Speaking of doing lots with relitively few tools (and none of them power tools either). I don't remember his name, or the name of his show (great help ain't I?), but he did everything the old fashioned way. His workshop was full of old tools, none power tools, and some nifty looking benches and custom jigs & fixtures.

Also, it was somewhat entertaining to see him get at least one cut and be bleeding everywhere. Not because I like gore, but it just kept things more real and it was cool he never wanted to edit it out to make things appear perfect.

Post Likes
    is that Roy Underhill -- The woodwrights shop

happen to be watching/listening to him right now.

bob, norm, roy, the canadian router guys etc.

this is how part of indoor saturdays are spent. can learn how to do things modern or when the power is off.

if I only had the time.

alm ii

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in