Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Was wondering if anyone has pulled the disconnect switch on an a/c installation that you havent gotton paid on , after a long time of trying to get paid ? Should they have the benefits of 'Your' (since money has not been tendered) A/C equipment if it works ok and they just dont want to pay you ?

What do u think about going this route, before, you start litigation proceedings ? If you dont pull the disconnect switch there are always other ways of preventing the system from working.

Feedback please. THANKS.

How about just filing a lien on them.

'How about just filing a lien on them

ME: In my state, you cant file a lien on the house until you get a Judgement on them , which means going to Court .... and spending oodles of hours going thru the red tape.

Reclaim it & take it if they don't have a receipt then it is still yours.

I dont see whats wrong with it.

The electric utility companies will come on your property if you don't pay up and disconnect your power. Its basiclly the same as pulling the plug on a condensing unit.

Why let them use somthing they refuse to pay for.

The job isn't done til they pay the pill so you can do anything you won't til they pay.

Originally posted by framehvac
    The job isn't done til they pay the pill so you can do anything you won't til they pay.
    Maybe not. In my state, once it's installed, it's part of the property. I know someone that pulled night maneuvers and yanked out some equipment for non-payment. The deadbeat customer took the contractor to court, and the judge made the contractor put it back in, even though he was never paid for it.

Maybe not. In my state, once it's installed, it's part of the property. I know someone that pulled night maneuvers and yanked out some equipment for non-payment. The deadbeat customer took the contractor to court, and the judge made the contractor put it back in, even though he was never paid for it.

Sound like someone had a better lawyer or went with out one.

There are some very good threads on the same subject.
    Once you install it it becomes part of the property.
    Make sure you get paid BEFORE you leave the property.

"I have worked in multiple cities and multiple states. Everywhere I have ever checked once the installation is complete the equipment is considered part of the property legally. There is ALOT of precident and case law on this. It does not matter what forms you have signed or what paragraphs you put on your work orders etc. The law is clear in most cases. That is why we were always taught to NEVER leave the property without payment.(I have sat in a driveway waiting before) Once you step foot off the property your rights as a contractor change. Still on property- the install is not complete and you can call the police for to charge them criminally with "theft of service" on the spot. After you step foot off the property- the equipment possesion has transfered and it is now a collections and civil legal matter. If they sign a check or credit card reciept and then you leave, only to have it no good or cancelled- then it is fraud. The police/etc can act criminally on that. But NEVER leave the property. I had one a$$hole try to run me off after refusing to pay once. Sat in my truck with the doors locked in the middle off his driveway and called the cops from my cell phone. When they got there they said you can either write a check for the full amount and furnish his insurance info(for his footprint in my truck's door/ he tried to get me to leave-lol) or go directly to jail. The cop warned him that he was witnessing the transaction and if any "monkey buisness" went on with the payment- he would go to jail immediatly for fraud/bad check writing. The guy paid immediatly and his insurance fixed the truck for my boss. We never did buisness with this guy or on any of his properties again."
    ( I got this from an earlier thread. i can't remember who post it but boy it makes sense!)
    work to live not live to work

If they don't pay tell them that the blower motor is bad & take it that way the job willn't be done & tell them when you get the money call me & I will come finish the job.HAHA

I was working on the roof of an aerospace building when the security people forced me to leave because a group of Air Force generals were going to have a top secret meeting in the building.

So I shut down every rooftop unit and went back to the maint shop and waited. I informed the director of maint of what I did and he thought it was great. About 45 minutes later he got a phone call while he and I were having coffee in his office. They wanted me back on the job immediately because it was too hot in their meeting room to hold the meeting. The maint director informed the general making the call that we were real busy but he would try to locate me and see what he could do. He also told them that once I returned I would need to be allowed to remain on the roof until all my work was finished.

I went back about an hour later and here were all the brass standing outside waiting for me. I was allowed back on the roof and remained there even during their meeting.

On that particular day they learned not to mess with the AC crew.

On another day we learned that the security police removed all coffee makers from all the offices in 24 buildings of the same aerospace firm. They even removed our coffee maker from the maint shop and boiler room. The security police were ordered to collect all coffee makers by some company vice president.

The maint director went to the building automation system and shut down every AC unit in every guard shack in the complex. A little while later the security people started calling about it being too hot in the guard shacks. The boss asked them where our coffee makers were. Within ten minutes we had our coffee makers back and about an hour later the boss turned their AC units back on. None of us even had to leave the maint shop.

The AC guys won another round!

Norm

Way back when I was scratching out a living by bottom-feeding, I would get half up front.
    Some places were C.O.D., but they KNEW in advance I expected paid, cash money.
    I told them ahead of time.
    Those in the nice houses, or slumlords, were much more likely to want "easy payment plans", or "send the bill to..."
    Before I cut anything loose, we would have the discussion about payment.

I cannot recall anybody in the "poor side of town" expecting me to send a bill.
    If they didn't have the money, they just waited.

No Money, No Workey!

'I was working on the roof of an aerospace building when the security people forced me to leave because a group of Air Force generals were going to have a top secret meeting in the building.
    So I shut down every rooftop unit and went back to the maint shop and waited. I informed the director of maint of what I did and he thought it was great. About 45 minutes later he got a phone call while he and I were having coffee in his office. They wanted me back on the job immediately because it was too hot in their meeting room to hold the meeting. The maint director informed the general making the call that we were real busy but he would try to locate me and see what he could do. He also told them that once I returned I would need to be allowed to remain on the roof until all my work was finished.
    I went back about an hour later and here were all the brass standing outside waiting for me. I was allowed back on the roof and remained there even during their meeting.
    On that particular day they learned not to mess with the AC crew.
    '

ME: Wasnt it a little risky for you to kill all the RTU's knowing youd be affecting Top Generals ??? Its a good thing they didnt discover your ploy . Did u do it because you felt you were inconvenienced ?!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast