Thread: change in A/C within 1 year

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes
    We had a new handler and outside unit put in in 4/2003. They re-routed a return to get more air to a back room. All seemed good for the first year, through our majorly hot FLorida summers. All rooms were being sufficiently cooled. But last summer, the front two bedrooms which were previously okay, started to get really warm during the afternoons, up to 85 degrees. Of course, the sun beats on the house, but it did that the year before too. We had the thermostat set for 75. What could cause this change? We need to address it this year, cuz I can't take another year of my office and now baby's room being so hot!
    Thanks for any ideas,
    Chipper

[Edited by chipper on 02-11-2005 at 02:01 PM]

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Possible reasons:

4.Dirty coil

3.Dirty blower wheel

2.Dirty filter

1.You installed a 3M or another very restrictive filter

Post Likes
    Sounds like you need to get your contractor out to check the equipment to make sure a problem hasn't developed. If the situation is being caused by the sun warming the house unevenly then the problem may go away as the outdoor temperature increases and the system run times increase. Increasing the insulation in these area's of the home may also improve the situation.

Post Likes
    Do you notice a change in airflow from last summer? If so, look at what dash mentioned. If airflow seems the same but still not cooling, chances are you are low on refrigerant due to a leak in the system somewhere.

Post Likes
    I think there was a decrease in air flow, as when we had the service guy out to "clean" the system, he held his hand up to the vent in the front office room and said, not much air coming out of there. He was supposed to get in touch with the other guy and come out to look at it. We had such a run around and problem with a circuit board in the outside unit causing problems, we just didn't feel like going around and around with this type of problem, so we put it off. We don't like the company we're with, so I just wanted to get some ideas before we call someone else. We were curious about getting new duct work put in, and it would cost almost $2700 for 11 vents, another guy I called told me should be about $100 per vent + $1100, considerably different. But to answer your question, I think air flow was restricted. My husband may use a higher allergy type filter. What would be best to use for maximum air flow and good dirt protection?

Thanks again,
    Chipper

Post Likes
    If the only area that suffers is the office and baby room, then I'd say it's ductwork. If the whole house is not cooling then it's a system problem.

If they re-did the ducts to the now trouble area's,
    Then I would say they have come apart.
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Your duct system shouldn't need to be replaced to corret the airflow to two rooms ,in a typical Florida home.

If you have an "allergy" type filter,remove it for a few minutes,to feel the difference in airflow.Then you'll know if that's the problem.

Any "better" filter will be more restrictive than a standard one,system was likely designed for standard filter.Return duct system may need to be "redesigned" to add a better type filter.Call around and inquire specifically ,to be sure they can do this,before they come out for an estimate.

Post Likes
    Unfortunately airflow and good dirt removal means $$$$. The less restrictive a filter is to airflow the more dirt it will pass. That leaves you to find the trade-off point for your situation. Another option would be to have a contractor install a high efficiency media filter which uses an expensive and sometimes hard for a home owner to find 4 inch thick pleated filter. The final option would be the installation of an electronic air cleaner, which never needs a filter change but just a good cleaning every 3 tp 6 months and hold on to your wallet when you get that price.

Post Likes
    Our house isn't the typical Florida house where you have a center part with master on one side and guest rooms on other. Our house starts with Kitchen on end, then D.R., then great room, then all three bedrooms are at other end, along with 2 baths. When the re-routed the return, they took the return from the back bedroom (there are 2 bedrooms/office in front of house), and attached it to a plenum at the air handler. This gave us more cooling in the back bedroom and the front rooms were okay that summer. It was the next summer that something happed to cause the front rooms to get warm. I guess from reading we don't need to replace the ducts. I just thought they were dirty and was causing a bit of a smell. (We did have the hurricane here this year, but we did okay in it, power was off for a week though). We get a piney/musty smell now. I just want to find an A/C company with honest men . . . do they exist and how do you find them?

Thanks,
    Chipper

Post Likes
    A musty smell has developed! Sounds like as Toolpusher was thinking! That new return has come apart. I bet it runs through a musty smelling crawl space too.

Post Likes
    Now I'm puzzled. The new return is only for the back bedroom, and we've no complaints on the air temp back there. There was no new return for the front two rooms??? Last summer prior to the hurricane, there was no smell, just hot rooms. Since the hurricane, some smell. It goes away after the system is on for awhile. It more when it starts up to cool or heat.

Chipper

Post Likes
    HIRE A NEW CONTRACTOR to come look at it!

We cannot see what you are describing. Its impossible for us to diagnose.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in