Thread: TStat ?

Post Likes
    I have a 93% efficient furnace and 14 seer AC unit. Everyting seems to work fine but my furnace only runs 3-5 minutes at a time it does maintain the 70 degrees set on the furnace no problem. I have a Honeywell Chronotherm 111 thermostat. I was told it really causes the furnace to cycle to frequently. Any suggestions on a Tstat for this. It appears White Rogers Tstats will let you adjust temperature variance which will let the furnace burn longer. It seems to me the furnace is not near as efficent when it only burns 3-5 minutes. Just when the ductwork etc is warmed up it shuts down. Maybe I am wrong. Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by hageman6
    I have a 93% efficient furnace and 14 seer AC unit. Everyting seems to work fine but my furnace only runs 3-5 minutes at a time it does maintain the 70 degrees set on the furnace no problem.
    Your furnace looks oversized from here. Was a heat loss calculation done when it was installed?

Post Likes
    The cycle rate for high efficiency furnaces on Honeywell stats can differ from the normal setting. Have your installer read the thermostat's installation literature to ensure which cycle rate is best for this system.
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    Yes the heat calc was completed. I had a 100BTU 80 percent that when operating really kept the house comfortable. The new 93 Percent efficnet furnace is an 80K based on the heat calc.

Post Likes
    I had a Honeywell T8000C Tstat installed with a new Carrier 58CVA furnace. The default cycling rate on the thermostat was 6 cycles per hour, while the furmace manual called for 3 cph. You need the tstat installation manual to know how to reset the tstat cycling rate. The owners manual doesn't have it! I reset it and it's much better. Obviously at 6 cph it's going to be cycling every 10 min which is annoying.

Post Likes

Cycle Rate adjustment on Chronotherm III

Post Likes
    Thanks for the installation guide. It appears that this adjustement should take care of my problem.
    Thanks

Post Likes

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in