I'm new to this forum. I am currently working towards my associates in HVACR and am doing a research project. My teacher suggested Beacon II systems and so far they seem pretty interesting. I have heard mixed opinions on them though. What do you guys think?

I know I had a recovery/recycle machine back in the early 90's and it sucked "literally" called Pinnacle. Is that you??

Welcome to the forum.

Originally posted by pinnacle2000c
    I'm new to this forum. I am currently working towards my associates in HVACR and am doing a research project. My teacher suggested Beacon II systems and so far they seem pretty interesting. I have heard mixed opinions on them though. What do you guys think?
    I think they should stop making them, personally. They're the most ridiculous piece of crap I've ever had the displeasure to run into on a Friday afternoon at 5:30.

"Interesting" only if you're not under the gun to get one working and get caught without any of their proprietary parts.

I AGREE WITH DAVE! just went thru a hellish few days ,one
    sensor bad then another ,then board problem,wouldn't feed
    coil right.on with tech support,wanted me to pull valve punch out inlet screen add drier reinstall valve and see how it does. b.s. if i'm gonna pull the valve do all
    that and still find out it's valve.no way. the orig.valve obsolete.would need new valve and an additional board to run it. tech support admitted that it was a good time to
    cut out that beacon crap. reworked as good old system,clock solenoid,etc.... system pulled right down to -10.store personel stated that this thing hasn't pulled down like this for a long time.unfortunate part there is 3 more
    systems in this one store.come to think of it ,it's a
    chance to make some money.RIP EM ALL OUT.....
    note:these systems are 6 plus years old.

wow some of these comments - i guess you have to be a techy to to like a beacon II. I installed a system, with a beacon II, 2-10 hp scrolls with 3 evaps each (freezer) 2- 4 hp scrolls with 2 evaps each (+33* Cooler) This system worked extremly well, after the bugs were worked out. This system give you full control. Superheat, Smart defrost, are fully adjustable and veiwable from a single control display. Evaporators contain a pressure transducer, suction line, coil, and air inlet temperature sensors. Data from the above sensors allow the controller to maintain a 100% efficenancy. The controller knows when the coils need a defrost via Delta T (air temp vs coil temp), that in its self is a huge energy savings. Keeping the coil 100% efficenant during high or low ambient etc... Were able to help control humidity in the cooler box simply by adjusting the superheat (from the a single control display).

Knowing how to service, troubleshoot and repair these systems is really not that hard. The parts are mostly OEM only, so the customer should keep a stock of sensors, transducer and maybe a evap. board. With proper refrigeration service and repair practices these unit should be very reliable.

If they were that reliable, the customers wouldn't need to buy spare parts for these things.

I have more than a slight understanding of these things, have worked on dozens, and recommend that they not be installed due to the fragility of the sensors, the board, and the main controller. (Three controller failures inside of one month on different stores of different vintage=real bad news.)

You really want super-tight temperature control/energy management??? Buy a modern DDC controller such as a CPC Einstein or a Danfoss Akcess55, and set it up. Sure, it'll cost more, but the reliability and support are there, and it'll connect everything in the store, not just a couple of walk-ins.

The Becon technology is light-years behind the times.

I thinks at a decent idea, for the small walk in as a standalone set up. But. They just suck. The sensors and boards just get chewed up.

Mickey D's which loves these, I think will be switch their entire refrigeration set up soon. I think your gonna start seeing those hussman protocols soon. Those things are getting smaller and smaller and they got a psuedo cpc controll on em. And I bet there are a few other's playing with the idea to manufacture.

I was thinking about getting smarter with the enigneering side. I got a great idea for a multiplexed system with a small foot print and stand alone. Just run er on a 55 with the kvq epr's.

It ain't pseudo cpc, it's just cpc in disguise.

Hey, I wouldn't want my name anywhere near that stuff, either!