Thread: No filters??

Hybrid View

Just got the question from a buddy of mine, but want to give him more than just my opinion on this the next time we get together to play some poker.

What are some of the effects of not having any filters on a residential unit? What if a home owner just took out the filter and never replaced it?

Why did you do that?
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Hand him some new equipment brochures, financing application - he'll be in the market soon.

1. Equipment efficiency will start to go downhill very quickly.

2. Heating and cooling capacity will be lost as the evaporator coil and blower wheel build up dust.

3. Blower motor will burn up faster as its cooling vents clog with dust overheating the motor windings.

4. The heat exchanger will overheat with the loss of airflow causing it to crack or burn through.

5. Refrigerant compressor may be damaged from the reduced airflow.

6. Manufacturers warranty will be void if any of the above results.

How about the self cleaning filters one of our customers had? He may as well use them. She would simply remove the filter, turn it over and reinsert. Cleaned itself right away! A little education following a serious service/repair bill stopped that habit. Greg

the standard disposable type is there to slightly protect the equipment only. but it is better than nothing.

for health AND equipment, i would recommend a higher efficiency type such as the aprilaire 22/2400 or the 5000.(anyone recieved the new parts?)

as was previously posted, no filter will result in a clogged coil and a service call for hundreds of dollars.

at the very least buy a cheap filter and change it monthly. they cost a buck. you don't want to know what i will charge you to change your filter, or worse yet remove and clean your coil.

They DON'T need a filter

A wet coil is one of the best filters you can find... and if it's heat only, it will take a while longer.
    Life goes on long after the thrill of living is gone.

I just got that deer in the headlight look!!!!

BillVA - you might stir the pot a little on the 5000 parts & labor allowance .... something is in the works that is compelling Aprilare to step up to the plate & pay a reasonable repair of $165 p/unit for repair not the $40. Remenber it's THIER problem, if they want to buy & stock a service truck & obtain ins. ..... & make repairs for $40- let 'em go for it.

Thanks for the help.