Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I need a meter that reads temperature. I've got it narrowed down to 3 Fluke meters; Fluke 16, 179, or 52. I'd like your opinions, please.

The Fluke 16 seems to be a favorite on this site. The only downside I see is that it reads current only up to 200uA.
    That's good for control circuits, but not for higher current devices like motors. Although it can accept an optional current clamp-on attachment.

The Fluke 179 also reads temp, and can read up to 10A, as well as frequency. As an hvac tech, how often are frequency measurements made? Is this an important feature? So far this is my favorite meter, because of its many functions.
    Has anyone used this meter?

The Fluke 52 is a temp meter only. It can read 2 temps at a time and record it. Is this important in hvac repair? Or is it over-kill? It appears to be a lab-quality meter, which may be more than what's necessary in the field.

Although I'm still an hvac student, I'm willing to spend a little extra and get a quality meter. Your suggestions are appreciated!

Get the 16 it's a good starter meter and the price's ok.
    The 52 doesn't hurt to have either but 16 will take temps and record them as well.
    work to live not live to work

and the 23 is a good meter that accepts the thermometer, amp clamp etc...

In this field...The only meter you need is the Fkuke 16 and a good amp meter of your own choosing. If you have a specialty, further research is required.

I would get the 52 & the pipe clamps too.It is a great time saver to be able to get temp rise,sub cooling,&super heat readings without changing probes.I also have extra long leads that are a great help with mua's.I also have a 16 & on ocassion have had three temp probes working at one time.Being able to take accurate temperature readings is a must for servicing.

[Edited by markwolf on 02-11-2005 at 12:56 AM]
    Take your time & do it right!

frequency measurements are uased you need to use them on ENG air djm units to check the burner motor. This is the only time I can remember needing this specific reading.
    I also need to use duty cycle on this unit as the hall effect sensor and djm panel is sensitive to a duty cycle percentage.

Other than that I would sugest you get the fluke 179 and a clamp on attachment that will boost your capacity to read amps to 100 amps (I think) at least 40 for sure plugs into your milli amps and amps sockets that is if you have the duckets to spend (fluke offers a package deal with the 179 inc check it out
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Get the HVAC package, so that you can do it all for a decent price, or get a Fieldpiece SC76.

Not trying to start another meter war BUT, If you have the dollars get the Fluke 16 AND an amp meter AND the Fluke 52!

Now if dollars are tight GET the Fieldpiece HS-36 (under $200) AND the Fluke 52 in a little while.
    The HS-36 and do SOOOOO much (and is Cat 3 listed)and can read amps with the remote head (included).

MY thoughts.

Yuma,
    What is snow? Is it that white stuff in a freezer?

Originally posted by 747ken
    I need a meter that reads temperature. I've got it narrowed down to 3 Fluke meters; Fluke 16, 179, or 52. I'd like your opinions, please.

The Fluke 16 seems to be a favorite on this site. The only downside I see is that it reads current only up to 200uA.
    That's good for control circuits, but not for higher current devices like motors. Although it can accept an optional current clamp-on attachment.

The Fluke 179 also reads temp, and can read up to 10A, as well as frequency. As an hvac tech, how often are frequency measurements made? Is this an important feature? So far this is my favorite meter, because of its many functions.
    Has anyone used this meter?

The Fluke 52 is a temp meter only. It can read 2 temps at a time and record it. Is this important in hvac repair? Or is it over-kill? It appears to be a lab-quality meter, which may be more than what's necessary in the field.

Although I'm still an hvac student, I'm willing to spend a little extra and get a quality meter. Your suggestions are appreciated!

ebay.com you would not believe the price difference.
    Bought several meters at 1/2 the price and warranty still the same..
    Fluke 79 III
    Fluke 333 amp/clamp
    Fluke 52 /older model (retired)
    Fluke 54 II- temperature (new)
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Talking

I personely like the Fluke 83-5 Industrial multimeter, we also have a fluke 16 and it does just a good of a job.

Get All Three

747ken,I carry the 16,179,& 52 plus a 87 in my bag.
    I would not take anything for them,they each have there own unique features.
    The 179 with a i200 amp clamp is my preferred method for checking amp draw,it is hard to get an accurate amp draw on a blower motor with a standard amp meter.
    Like Mark said get the pipe clamps,you will cut your time by over half when it comes to taking temp readings.

I prefere to have a separate multimeter, clamp on amp meter and thermometer. Especially when working on cooling equipment, I am often using all 3 meters at the same time.

In my bag I carry a Fluke 16 multimeter, Fluke 30 clamp on amp meter(soon to be replaced by a Fluke 337, and a Fluke 52-2 thermometer with bead, clamp, air, and surface probes.

I won't allow anyting that has Fieldpiece or UEI on it into my truck.

If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Hmm

In my tool bag I have one metter A Fieldpiece 76 with a pipe clamp and a bead probe.I also keep a Fluke hot stick and a Taylar thermometer. I feel to keep more then 1 meter in your bag is going overboard I try to pack lite.I do on the other hand Keep A Fluke 333,117,16,t6-500, on the truck and a few other.
    Tin Knockers BANG for a living

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast