Thread: Water heater

I know this is not exactly an hvac question but some of us do work on these. Looked at one one that is actually my fathers in a rental that was purchased new and the top element went out within a month. Under warranty so he went and got the water heater replaced. The new one has been in for three months and the top element is out. Any ideas?

Is the tank full? Dont turn on the power till the tank is full of water. just a thought.

Replaced the water heater because the element went bad??

Hmm, Pretty rare to see top element go out before bottom element. I'd check voltage and make sure it ain't high.

Didn't turn electric on before tank was full of water by any chance?

Originally posted by glennwith2ns
    Replaced the water heater because the element went bad??

Hmm, Pretty rare to see top element go out before bottom element. I'd check voltage and make sure it ain't high.

Didn't turn electric on before tank was full of water by any chance?

I can't think of any good reason to replace an entire water heater for a failed element. I mean, the warranty will cover parts............

Really do appreciate the help. Although Yes I understand exactly how a simple water heater works I realize that an element will burn out if there is no water there The reason the water heater was replaced was because it quit working and my father did not know what was wrong so he replaced it. It was easier for him. If the top element doesnt heat the bottom element will never get power. This house has never had the water shut off and I asked if they have ever seen air in the lines and no

glenn The heater was a month old so he got a new one in war

Are you sure it is the element and not the stat, or the high limit, did he turn the stat up, and the limit is tripping.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?