Thread: remote sensors

Post Likes
    we are currently renovating a home for a wealthy and very difficult to please customer. 4 splits, boilers radiant floors etc. the owner does not want to see stats on the walls even the remote sensors i have shown her are to big.
    does anyone know where i can find a very small remote sensor(she says flat and no bigger than a dime !) i can tie into a programable stat hidden in a closet. thanks

Post Likes
    You could put sensors in the return air ducts on the splits, as long as the fan is set to "on". As far as the radiant I'm not sure about that.
    Mark

Post Likes
    Aprilaire makes the flat disc remote sensors but they are about the size of a quarter.

Post Likes
    What about these?

http://www.smarthome.com/1522.html
    http://www.smarthome.com/1524.html
    http://www.smarthome.com/1526.html

Not exactly small, but definitely good looking...
    --vt

Post Likes
    A Vision Pro will accept remote sensors. As suggested, you could hang the stat in a closet or utility room and place the sensors in the return air...I'd try to get them downstream of any filtration if that's the case.

Why pick on thermostats, I wonder? Shouldn't this client also object to light switches, outlets, smoke detectors, motion sensors, etc?
    Psychrometrics: the very foundation of HVAC. A comfort troubleshooter's best friend.

Post Likes
    If you take apart most remote sensors, they're only a tiny thermistor with, possibly, a capacitor for induced current protection. Maybe hide them behind a painting, mirror or other wall hanging.

Post Likes
    put in toggle switches,,tell her when it gets hot to flip the switch

Post Likes

I have heard that Johnson Controls makes a sensor that can be imbedded in the surface of the wall so it cannot be seen. Go this information from a Johnson technician.

Post Likes
    Aprilaire, makes a flid (sensor) that gets textured or painted into the sheetrock with the thermostat in the mechanical room. The lady can be nothing but pleased to see nothing on her walls. I put 22 of them in a house recently, the only issue is to map where they are for future reference/service.

Post Likes
    Maybe she needs a fireplace ? No stat No sensor adjust temp by the amount of wood and air you put in.

Post Likes
    Tell her not to be ashamed, everybody has them.

Post Likes
    there quite a few things i would like to say to this women.
    they own newspapers across the country and have buildings at PITT and CMU named after them this is old money like the carnegies and mellons. i appreciate the advice and have found a few leads. thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in