Thread: Refrigerated A/C vs. Evaporative Cooling

Post Likes
    Could someone fill me in on some of the benefits of having refrigerated air conditioning vs. evaporative cooling? I know most of the common items, i.e. less water usage and it works better in humid conditions. However, I don't know what some of the other benefits are. Any info is appreciated.

Post Likes

unless...

...you live in the desert, I wouldnt even talk about a swamp cooler. Dont know anyone than even has one, sry.

Post Likes
    Refrigeration will provide dehumidification and a greater temperature drop. Dehumidification being the more important of the two.
    Wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.

In your darkest hour, when the demons come, call on me brother and we shall fight them together.

A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

Post Likes
    Thanks doc havoc. What's your guess on the %humidity it takes for a swamp cooler to stop working? There are some places in the desert that average about 50-60% humidity in the summer.

Post Likes

What is desert humidity

Bulldog, I think you would do well to verify that humidity number...

>>There are some places in the desert that average about 50-60% humidity in the summer.

I think the real number is going to be much lower during the heat of the day. In the hot-humid Houston summers, the humidity isn't actually that much higher than what you quoted. The key to Houston humidity problems, is that even at 60% relative humidity and 90 degrees, there are a WHOLE LOT of grains of moisture in each cubic foot. Another way of saying the dewpoint is high.

If you are truly in a desert environment then I think a swamp cooler will work reasonably well.

Best wishes -- P.Student

Post Likes
    Dew point is the key. Once the dew point hits 50 degrees turn your evapcooler off!!
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price has gone.

Post Likes
    Let me throw this in the mix... depends on what you are trying to keep cool.

If it's living things, I'd say refrigeration. If it's just equipment and (big and) it'd be cheaper to install evap cooling.

At our waste water treatment plant they have big louvers set up with evap coolers infront of them, and massive exhaust fants that draw air into the building through the wet cardboard. Seems to work really well at keeping thier pumps (and what ever the other gadgets are in there) cool.

Post Likes
    nm

Post Likes
    Evaporative cooling is cheaper to operate, a lot cheaper.
    If you have kids running in and out all day long it's great. But you need to live in a climite where it will work. How can you tell? Go to the big box store and you will see rows and rows of them during the summer.
    you would have to post the state, maybe even the nearest large city to know for sure.

Post Likes
    bulldog66;
    Not knowing where you live (nothing in your profile). It would be hard to give you a answer for YOUR area. Mow in my area (Southwest Desert of Arizona)I have both units on my home. We use the evaporative cooling for about three months of our summers, (NOTE: The temps get up to around 120°f and the dew point is normally around 25-35°, so it is DRY at this time). Now come along August I turn on the A/C because the humidity rises and the Swamp Cooler won't cut it.( At this time the humidity is up to 30-45%).
    The cooler is cheaper to run and at times the house can get down right COLD, but it adds water in to the house and can cause problems with some electronic gear.
    So, it's all in the dollars.
    I hope this helps a little more.

Yuma
    What is snow? Is it that white stuff in a freezer?

Post Likes
    AS Yuma has stated the swamp adds water to your home, it also has high cfm's I find my older customer not so happy with that. The extra cfm's kick up dust. I see alot of them in my area. I probully have a even number of calls to install and to remove.We are removing one this week and installing a 12 seer rheem roof top. If it is dry they do feel good and they are cheeper to run. a 120 vt swamp pulls just under 12 amps a 3 ton ac more like 22 amps. you can see the savings. The master cools with the low voltage t stats seem to be the best. they had some problems with there low voltage controls, but I think thats not a problem anymore.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in