Thread: NC SP-PH

Have any of you taken the special electrical exam to hook up our equipment? If so howwas it I am planning on taking it in the next week or so, just looking for a hint of what its about
    Certified,qualified and can do it cause were used to it.

I was considering it, then I heard they were going to try to get a code change. Which would allow power wiring from disconnect to equipment. That,s all the SP license allows. State refrigeration all ready allows this.

It's all about hooking up electricity to an air conditioning unit.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Hey thanks Dice I think I see it more clearly now

Wornout, I havent heard anything about a code change. All I've heard is how they are going to start enforcing a seperate permit for the electrical hook up, most inspectors around here are already requiring it I think it is more a money thing than anything else. Twice the permit for one trip.

Indoor Comfort

At the Mechanical Contractor's of North Carolina Convention & Expo on Feb 17 & 18, they will be collecting signatures on petions to take to the State Boards. There position is,most if not all HVAC and Plumbing contractors have the knowledge to safely replace a whip, disconnect box, or breaker, when servicing or replacing the equipment. And the property owner should not incur the additional cost and potenial down time, waiting for a electrical contractor to arrive. So, please support the Mechanical Contractors of North Carolina Association. If you are not a member, consider joining.

Hey Worn Out, Where is the expo going to be at. I would love to go and will be more than willing to sign the petition. I have thought about joining the contractors asso. Where can I get more info?

The Expo is at the Charlotte Merchandise Mart. You can get a free parking pass, and more info by going to there web site. http://www.mcofnc.org

SP-PH

I took a study course for the exam. During the first break I asked the instructor if the license allowed resizing fuses or breakers for new unit installed. NO it doesn't. Well then why have it. The state board of plumbing, heating and fire sprinkling contractors noted in their news letter last year that people holding a refrigeration license can not use their SP-PH under that license to do wiring on hvac units. I'll be happy to sign the petition.
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

I took the prep yesterday. It sounds like a lot of bull just to be able to go from the disconect to the unit. If they would allow us to go from panal to unit now that would be differnt. I still say its just an easy way for the inspection dept. to get an extra permit fee for no work on there part. And since they cant sell an electrical premit to a mechanical contractor we have to jump through hoops, next we'll have to have a plumbing lic. to run the condensate drains and the plumbers will have to have us come hook the vent up on a gas water heater.

Frown Re : Special licenses

We have the same BS here in Suffolk County NY. They now want us to obtain a restricted Electricians license for the electrical part and a resticted Plumbers license to run the water and drain lines for the Ice Machines at $250 dollars each per year. On top of that they want us to have an Appliance Repair License to do service work. I stated I don't fix washers,dryers ranges etc. they said they didn'thave an HVAC or Refrigeration License. Go figure the politicians.
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.