Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Further clarification

I feel there is a difference between phoning 6 companies off the bat for quotes vs. phoning 3 companies and being dissatisfied. At that point, I fully understand the need for more help.

Collin, These idiots are ho's who dont know s#!t.They think that they are in charge. But we are the ones doing the work or in the case of 6 bids haveing our time wasted. In turn running up the price from all six bidders. Dumb a$$es!

ServiceMagic

As anyone heard of Service Magic? You get four bids, but first you see the profiles of each company and references and pictures of there work and more. Thunder this would make it easier for you to find contractors, that are all ready pre-screened for you.

Re: Further clarification

Originally posted by Collin
    I feel there is a difference between phoning 6 companies off the bat for quotes vs. phoning 3 companies and being dissatisfied. At that point, I fully understand the need for more help.
    Ahhh yes. That would be exactly what I meant. I'll call three, and schedule replacements if necessary.

Duc Dog, well... I'm just going to assume that's internet anonymity talking.

Originally posted by thunderglass
    First let me say to those who think that getting several bids is only looking to start a bidding war are short sighted, narrow minded and unable to see the woods for the trees being in the way. In no way shape or form would I ever trust anyone who I don't know with blind trust to not rip me off by overcharging. I shop around for everything. Everything. HVAC systems are no different. This is why I had 2 dealers from each brand come out, just to be sure I wasn't paying for the Queen Mary and getting the SS Row Boat. I'm not looking for the lowest bidder but price is a factor.

I will say that I'm smarter than the average bear and well read before this process started and when I ask a question, I'm full aware of what the correct response should be. It's part of the process.
    Then what your saying to me is when I manage out my time like I do I then am short sighted and narrow minded. Well I can live with that.
    What you may not be aware of is just how many consumers there are that do practice and I might add enjoy starting a pricing contest like between car lots and those looking for low ballers. Without the aid of a fulltime salesman that larger co. have all I would manage is blowing a couple hrs of my time on each one of them and there are several of these type week-in and week-out. Certainly not everyone that desires 5 or more estimates is one of these people.

Something else you may not relieze we have to guard against. There are lots of people calling for multiple bids and estimates that actually are just fishing for free info that have every intention of going to Home depot or have their brothers cousin do the job when they think they have enough input on the project. To many red flags for me when Im 5th, 6th ot 10th in line for that "Free estimate"

"The Bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

The one I liked best was the one that had all the information in a fold out binder. He asked me to look through it as he measured the rooms. The first page had his business license, the next page was his certificate of insurance and limits of liability, next was his bond certificate followed by references and feedback forms sent in to the home company after past installations were finished. He then had a page that stated his companies standards and what every installation included. I in turn gave him a sheet that spelled out what kind of system I was looking for. I plan on using him even if he is not the lowest price. If he's the highest it could be a tough decision, I suppose it depends how much higher.
    The worst one was the guy that came in with no information and then asked me how I felt about getting a permit because you know sometimes an inspector looks at more than just the new installation and some home owners don't want them snooping around. O.K. red flag.............next!

Originally posted by thunderglass
    The one I liked best was the one that had all the information in a fold out binder. He asked me to look through it as he measured the rooms. The first page had his business license, the next page was his certificate of insurance and limits of liability, next was his bond certificate followed by references and feedback forms sent in to the home company after past installations were finished. He then had a page that stated his companies standards and what every installation included.

I think I saw that company advertising in Cosmopolitan last month, ROFLAO!! Got to be careful about those wolves in sheep's clothing good luck!

[Edited by mrbillpro on 02-14-2005 at 10:32 PM]
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Call the dept of consumer affairs in your area and ask if they have had any complaints filed on the contractor you chose

state licencing board to see if they are reputable contractors

a customer list? that would be a list of the contractors friends that will be glad to tell you what a wounderfull job the guy did

deal with a reputable company and not someone that "can do it for half the price of the other guy"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123