Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Not to talk price, but if your getting 2 stage heat and 2 stage cooling, thats a pretty good price.

If you get other estimates, make sure your comparing apples to apples.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Most heat exchangers can be examined with a flashlight and mirror for
    cracks. If this doesn’t reveal any noticeable cracks. It may be necessary to perform a static check to observe flame characteristics.
    This can be done by closing all hot air outlets and with the burners lit
    observing the flame for any distortion while the fan is in operation. Observation of flames prior to the fan running should be noted so a comparison of the flames before and after the fan starts may be made. Generally closing the primary air shutters to soften the flames aids in the observation of flame distortion. The furnace should run for a short period of time while performing a static test in the event a “hair line” crack is present. Heating of the heat exchanger may reveal such cracks as the heat exchanger starts to expand. In serpentine heat exchangers it may be a little more difficult to detect flame distortion but those who have observed these types of burner configurations will, should, be able to determine flame distortion if the crack is opened enough to cause distortion. In some cases it may be necessary to preform other tests to determine if a crack is present and this may include optical inspections. These are basic tests that IRASCRBLE eluded to that “gas guys” preform. With our low skill level, most, if not all, cracks our found with a flashlight and mirror. On serpentine heat exchanger if the crack is server enough. The flame is still distorted enough to and in some cases will be deflected away from the inlet port of the heat exchanger, if that’s what the industry calls it.
    IRASCRIBLE you pointed out the rules to this person. You may want to refresh your own memory. Help prevent flame wars and no insults. Couldn’t help noticing your residence. I’m one of those “gas guys”.

nehps, you don't know me so don't ever call me a bastard again. Call me cheap all day, but with a wife that stays home with our two kids, house and car payments, diapers and all the other bills, I have to be cheap. Sorry I can't drop $X,000 on a furnace without asking any questions. I wanted to seek out professionals to get the best, most honest answers I could. Fortunately, there are a few others on this board that were nice and professional enough to do that. You, sir, are not one of them.

To the REAL pros, thank you for your advice. I will shop around and plan to deal only with trained pros, even if it costs a little more. I can't put a price on my family's safety. I also plan to go with the two stage unit because I like the idea behind the way it works. Also, the tech that was here did check the flame pattern with the fan on and off. You could easily see the flame blow down and roll out the bottom when the fan kicked on.

BTW nehps, my golf clubs were my Grandfathers pretty nice graphite set. Didn't cost me a dime.

Since you saw it for yourself, I'll drop my skepticism. And since the mod(s) seem to allow it these days, I'll say that it is a little expensive for a run of the mill install. But run of the mill means crappy. If it were a top notch install by a reputable company using nice equipment and included an extended warranty with other minor system enhancements, then it could be entirely reasonable.

Are you going to be in the house long? If not, don't change them both. You'll never get your money back in equity. And despite what some might say, the energy savings from a typical furnace changeout is nothing to write home about.

I'm in KC if you give me a call I'll give you a bid and second opinion. 510-2817 Rick - RES Mechanical

-

Wink

Originally posted by nehps
    You probably like others I came across looking for cheap cheap, paid $2,000.00 for golf clubs!
    Well yea, but you know golf clubs are important to some of us!

That old furnace just hides in the basement.

Most heat exchangers can be examined with a flashlight and mirror for cracks. If this doesn’t reveal any noticeable cracks. It may be necessary to perform a static check to observe flame characteristics.
    This can be done by closing all hot air outlets and with the burners lit
    observing the flame for any distortion while the fan is in operation. Observation of flames prior to the fan running should be noted so a comparison of the flames before and after the fan starts may be made. Generally closing the primary air shutters to soften the flames aids in the observation of flame distortion. The furnace should run for a short period of time while performing a static test in the event a “hair line” crack is present. Heating of the heat exchanger may reveal such cracks as the heat exchanger starts to expand. In serpentine heat exchangers it may be a little more difficult to detect flame distortion but those who have observed these types of burner configurations will, should, be able to determine flame distortion if the crack is opened enough to cause distortion. In some cases it may be necessary to perform other tests to determine if a crack is present and this may include optical inspections. These are basic tests that IRASCRBLE eluded to that “gas guys” perform. With our low skill level, most, if not all, cracks our found with a flashlight and mirror. On serpentine heat exchanger if the crack is server enough. The flame is still distorted enough to and in some cases will be deflected away from the inlet port of the heat exchanger, if that’s what the industry calls it.
    IRASCRIBLE you pointed out the rules to this person. You may want to refresh your own memory. Help prevent flame wars and no insults. Couldn’t help noticing your residence. I’m one of those “gas guys”

Cracks in heat exchangers are over rated nearly all heat exchangers are cracked, if you pull ten heat exchangers out of furnaces that have run for two or more seasons I will assure you that nine of them will have at least one crack in them. As for the price that guy gave you just get some more bids and compare at that point I would also have someone look at the furnace again and ask him to show you the cracks. Seven thousand dollars for a furnace does sound like a bit much if it were the whole system he might be in the ballpark.

in your first post you wanted someone who would do this as a side job & now all of a sudden you tell us that you are seeking a pro? which is it? There is no comparison between a side jobber & a legitimate co. The hack as they are called has no overhead period, they dont have to be concerned with the little things that make the real pros a more logical choice. you know the little things like hmmmmm maybe liability insurance, licenses, equipment warranty, maybe keeping insurance on his employees so that if they get hurt while illegally installing a system on the side for some cheap bastard maybe the cheap bastard is the only one who will get sued. Of course the hack will be cheaper but then what happens if the system doesnt perform? You usually cant find the hack after you write him the check so you have to start over. and i can guarantee that if i go behind mr. side jobber to straighten out his screwups it will cost more than you saved by being a cheap bastard!

Do you remember the kid in school that always had his hand up ready to ask a stupid question, apparently several of you guys do. Sort of aggrevating isn't it. I guess name calling isn't the most mature response and it looks like this site will always be subjected to these type of questions. My response to the original thread would be that estimates don't cost a penny, so why not take the time and get several from the contractors in your area, I'm sure KC has at least a thousand. Then you may be able to make a decision based on your financial situation.

Originally posted by justinothertech
    Do you remember the kid in school that always had his hand up ready to ask a stupid question, apparently several of you guys do. Sort of aggrevating isn't it.
    I'm sorry, I was always taught there is no such thing as a dumb question. If this is so aggrevating to you, don't reply.

Thanks to the few of you who gave polite, honest answers but please consider this thread closed. I can't see anything else positive coming from it. Again, I'm sorry to have violated your space with my unprofressional questions. This board was forwarded to me by some other stupid, unprofessional that thought I might get some help here.

He posted on here and said that the flame was rolling under the burner and was dancing around. Doesn't that sound like a plugged lung in the heat exchanger, meybe carboned up?

I haven't seen anybody talk about the water test, it the way i like to test for cracked heat exchangers. It's really easy too. Cut a hole above the furnace in the plenum, take a water bottle and pour a little water over the lungs, the water will run over the heat exchangers and go through any cracks. Then you use a flashlite and search for any water INSIDE the lungs.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast