Red Tag. What's involved?

How do others red tag a furnace.

Who, if anyone, aside from the homeowner, gets informed.
    Last edited by yucan2; 12-09-2010 at 07:30 PM. Reason: clarification

Around here the gas companies red tag stuff. they dont fix any of the problems, but instead force home owners to call a licensed company to perform repairs. then gas company returns to inspect repairs and if they are satisfied, will remove the red tag.

Chain of command

After informing the HO, I usually let the office know and we keep a copy of the red tag on file until we can confirm proper corrective action has been taken. I can see that you might want to notify the utility company as well, if its not you that is.

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood2706 View Post
    Around here the gas companies red tag stuff. they dont fix any of the problems, but instead force home owners to call a licensed company to perform repairs. then gas company returns to inspect repairs and if they are satisfied, will remove the red tag.
    I was thinking more along the lines of a cracked hx, where the utility most likely would not be aware of, as opposed to a gas leak.

City and state codes may differ. Our city code requires us to shut the furnace down if it is running in any kind of unsafe condition and notify the homeowner of said condition and that we have shut the gas off to it. Does not require that we notify anyone else.

Can a HO turn it back on a run it anyway, if they choose to...however they are taking the liability now for themselves and anyone else in the house.

Cracks in heat exchangers pose TWO threats, carbon monoxide poisoning and fire hazard. When there is a crack in the heat exchanger, there is a possibility carbon monoxide can get into the air stream of the house, but the flames can also come out the front of the furnace can catch the furnace on fire or anything else close by.

Many people die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning and many house fires are started each year due to furnaces. So it is not so much about who might know if it is red tagged, but who is no longer liable if someone dies, gets sick or house catches fire.

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

Sounds like the HO needs to sign the service ticket that they have been informed, or you may want to go "on the record" with the utility/ AHJ All this to CYA
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

Shutting off gas to the unit, informing the homeowner and having them sign the work order acknowledging same sounds like the ticket. Thanks.