Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stamas View Post
    Not exactly an open forum area discussion anymore.
    Tech23, get a pro app in yet?
    Actually I sent it in a week ago, then sent an email a few days later asking about it and then wed, I sent another...maybe I am doing something wrong. I have not heard back, can you check into this?

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Yes.

A Doctor doesn't run additional test on you for free to prove, or make sure his diagnosis is correct.

You want to give YOUR labor a way for free, thats fine. Don't be telling people that it should be free from their contractors.

You aren't pay the bills for those contractors.
    Not a fair analogy. It took that doctor 12 years of hard work to get to a point where he or she is qualified to make a diagnosis. For all the customer knows that tech who the customer is paying! to do this service just started doing this yesterday.

Not exactly an open forum area discussion anymore.
    Its stuff like this that makes a person think all you HVAC guys are crooks! I have had enough of this forum. Goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by fearlessfurnace View Post
    I do not think those little closed cracks in post #18 would show up on a CA or supply CO.
    Forgive my extreme ignorance here, but are those hairline cracks an actual problem? I guess where I'm going here is: if a Heat Exchanger is cracked, yet no combustion byproducts pass through it, then what is the issue? I'm not trying to be combative here... just trying to educate myself.

On another note, estimator number two was just here. He said the 20-ish year old system probably doesn't have too much life left, regardless of the crack. (He wasn't a tech, and didn't feel qualified to look the crack himself...)

SirWired

Quote Originally Posted by sirwired View Post
    Forgive my extreme ignorance here, but are those hairline cracks an actual problem? I guess where I'm going here is: if a Heat Exchanger is cracked, yet no combustion byproducts pass through it, then what is the issue? I'm not trying to be combative here... just trying to educate myself.

On another note, estimator number two was just here. He said the 20-ish year old system probably doesn't have too much life left, regardless of the crack. (He wasn't a tech, and didn't feel qualified to look the crack himself...)

SirWired
    Metal expands as it is heated up. The cracks then open up which can let carbon monoxide into the air stream and also can allow the flames to come out the front of the furnace....any crack can be dangerous, regardless the size.

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

unlike doctors, we do warranty our work....
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Quote Originally Posted by sirwired View Post

SirWired
    Yes they are a problem and need to be delt with before they split wide open. Just like when the Doc says your blood pressure is way too high,or the mechanic says your CV joint is bad. You don't wait to have a stroke or let the wheel all but fall off before dealing with it.

Quote Originally Posted by andythedrew View Post
    Not a fair analogy. It took that doctor 12 years of hard work to get to a point where he or she is qualified to make a diagnosis. For all the customer knows that tech who the customer is paying! to do this service just started doing this yesterday.

Its stuff like this that makes a person think all you HVAC guys are crooks! I have had enough of this forum. Goodbye.

OK.

What a moronic statement.

Quote Originally Posted by fearlessfurnace View Post
    so what do you say/do if in fact it is not cracked?
    I say that I can't see that it is cracked but my eyes are not the best and I refuse to say it is not cracked because of The legal liability. I would rather say it is cracked and be safe then say it is not and hurt someone. It is just the way I do business. I have not been put in that perdictament to many times. But when Ifind cracker I tell them to phone the gas company instead of another heating company, because the gas company does not sell furnaces.
    Do it right the first time.

Andythedrew pull your head out of your ass! We also have to be schooled and take on going trainning and are ridiculed steady for what we do, If you think all doctors are perfect because they have done 12 years of hard work. I have been working as hard as any doctor I know and I have been doing this 23 years. I have thought about becoming a doctor but would go insane of only working 25 hours per week and on holidays every second month.

Ps if you think HVAC guys are crooks, then maybe you should do something about it and become one. That is what I did!!!
    Do it right the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post
    Metal expands as it is heated up. The cracks then open up which can let carbon monoxide into the air stream and also can allow the flames to come out the front of the furnace....any crack can be dangerous, regardless the size.
    How can fumes go from the negative pressure in the hx to the positive pressure of the airstream?

Quote Originally Posted by bigtime View Post
    How can fumes go from the negative pressure in the hx to the positive pressure of the airstream?
    It won't always, but you asked how it could and the answer is because if the crack opens up when heated and the blower is blowing across the exchanger at a greater force and cfm than what the inducer motor is it can suck the gases out and into the air stream.

And if it is a natural draft and has no inducer than it is ever easier for it to do and let's not forget about the fire hazard of flames coming out the front of the furnace due to cracks.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast