When installing HVAC systems during the construction of a home or building many of us are asked (or ordered) to run the system such as the heat during the construction phase of the structure. Often this is needed to help the drywall people cure the taping and plastering.

What are you guys doing about that? Are you operating the systems? If not, how do you tell the general or the subcontractors that this puts the system in jeopardy?

In many cases, the equipment warranty clearly states that this may void the warranty.

What do you do?

I attach a clause to my proposal stateing that this will void my 30 days labor and one year parts warranty as the installer.

Firmly told the builder no and told him to buy portable construction heaters, or pay his drywall and tile guys enough to buy thier own.

Then again, we don't do new construction jobs exept for existing customers that are building a home, so we answer to the homeowner. It just doesn't really matter to me if I'm pissing off the builder because he can't fire me or not use me again. Not that I'm an assehole about it, just if a builder is looking for someone who will kiss his ass to stay on his good side, he is looking at the wrong man.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

we used to keep a bunch of junk furnaces around just to use for temp heat. put a piece of tin with a hole in it in the window and run the vent through it. plus my boss would charge them extra for setting it up and running a temp gas line. worked out okay and kept their warranty intact too.

or better yet, go to the wall of shame and print some of the pics of the f-d up furnaces and show them why the warranty will be null

Just depends on what mood my boss is in. Sometimes he won't even let the furnaces be run if they are just setting plumbing fixtures or tieing up some other loose ends that wouldn't raise any kind of dust. Yet another time when they are spraying paint on the walls we are supposed to run the system.

If a builder ever asks me, I always tell them it voids all warrenty's, but if they'd still like to go ahead call the shop and get an ok. If for some reason there is an ok I also pick up 3 or 4 extra filters and tell them to change them regularly (minimum once a week, more if they are making dust).

This ia an old question, my answer no no & no, use portable heaters, when you rough in don't hook up the gas because some idiot drywaller will try to start it, usually by trying to light the pilot light. DUH

Very rare but

I have a few contractors we do this for.
    Terms are:
    House is at finishing.
    Everything has been completely vacummed.
    All sawing, cutting etc. takes place in garage.

Any time a contactor wants it to warm the house at drywall stage, they balk when I say they have to sign off on the furnace stating there is no warranty.