We live in a converted barn of some size ..... The barn is outside Philadelphia and we live on two levels of 3000 square feet each. The first level has 8 foot ceilings, and the second floor level averages 12 foot ceilings - So a decent amount of volume to cool (maybe 60,000 cubic feet). The third floor is just a really big attic/club house for the kids.

I am going to install a/c for the house.
    I also am thinking about adding a gas fireplace somewhere on the first floor as long as a contractor will be punching holes in ceilings. Does that sound like something an a/c contractor would do also?
    Would it also be advisable to add a "whole house fan" at the same time?
    And I am thinking that as long as more holes are going in, does it make sense to add those light tubes which bring outdoor ambient light down higly reflective tubes into the ceilings?

Thanks Tom

Tom
    Sounds like you need more then just an HVAC Installer,

But here is some Ideas

1. If you go with a direct vent fireplace there is not need for holes in the ceiling, normaly installed with venting out the side of the house.
    2. Not sure if an whole house fan would work in your application as the normaly vent to the attic spaces with sufficant vents to displace the warm air brought, Other wise your pressurizing the house.
    3. Tubular Skylights are great but once again unless your going to bring them all the way thru the big attic/clubroom whats the point, then you have to frame them out thru that area, if you need more lighting in that clubroom normal sky lights would most likely work but these too are installed by either a roofer or residentual contractor.

Have you contacted some local HVAC Pros to come over and get a load calculation done ?

I have some friends that live in Essington not to far from Philly of course they are not in the city, but pretty darn close if you ask me !

Good luck on your Projects !
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat. (President Theodore Roosevelt)

I am doing one in West Chester PA now with GEO radiant and Spiral duct exposed. I have to say it looks AWESOME!!!!
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

save lots of $$$ by not cooling space above 7- 8ft! -- same as now being done in commercial bldg.

That is why we did the radiant floor and have spiral duct up in the air about 30 feet from floor.it cost alittle more,but after seeing the end result the homeowner and myself could not be happier.This home was a bank barn so the lower level was below grade, and the upper level was open like a basketball court.It would have been hard to heat this place with HOT air because of the design. As a plus we do not have any outdoor units to hide.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

gas fireplaces

Contact FireSide Hearth & Home in King of Prussia at 610-277-7474. Give them the name of your contractor then ask to speak with a salesperson. Tell them Bob sent you. In the meantime, go to http://www.fireplaces.com to read up on direct vent gas Fps. Be sure to coordinate with FireSide on the gas piping as most times it gets undersized. If LP, insist on 2 stage regulation with the second stage at the house as close to the appliances as possible. If you have several gas appliances, go with a 1000 gal. buried tank.
    HTH,