Hybrid View

About a month ago I noticed my outside unit of my heat pump was totally covered in frost/ice. I had never seen this before, so I turned it to emergency heat. I don't know if it was producing proper heat or not. I flipped it immediately so I wouldn't cause any problems. I live in North Texas. The temperature was in the 20's. What could cause this problem. Should I have it serviced or try it again?

Heat pumps do frost and can have alittle ice build up.
    Usally starting around mid to low 40's outside air temp.
    It could be a problem with the defrost cycle or it maybe acting as it should.

If your thinking the unit has a problem, call a service company out to have a look,

A heat pump is a have to see it, to know kind of thing.
    To many variables with them. And any suggestions would be a guess,
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

That is good to know. They are around the side of the house where I rarely visit. They could frost up every day and I never know it. I will keep an eye on it and if it looks strange call a repair man.

thanks

Dont be surprised if you see a large amount of "steam" or water vapor coming out of the unit either at the end of a defrost cycle. I get alot of calls about that... Its supposed to.

Condenser txv could be bad or bad condenser fan motor. Was condenser fan running in regular heat mode? If unit runs through scheduled defrost (a/c mode with or without condeser fan running, depending on unit & model)and switches back to heatpump mode and still frozen, could be low charge. Liquid line temp sensor could be faulty. Could be coming out of defrost too quick and freezing up right away.

These are a few things on some of the heat pumps I have worked on.

Good luck!

Job security.

Is why we always install the heat pump outdoor units outside the bathroom window. "My heat pump just blew up!!" call is easy money.