Thread: HVAC resources?

Post Likes
    Hi. I am new to the HVAC field. I spent three months as a purchasing agent for a heating company, and am now in the field. I like knowing as much as I can about the things I do, so I was hoping I could gather some resources for my new career. I'll basically be doing new construction and residential replacement, so anything along those lines would be fantastic. In the last three days I've helped hang a unit heater, watched while my lead man did some service-type work, and set two a/c's. I am a helper learning the trade and would just like to accelerate my learning curve. I know that there is no teacher like experience, but I feel that the more I know the more likely it is that my lead man will feel confident in allowing me those experiences more quickly. I looked high and low for a basic "how-to" guide on setting a/c's and furnaces, but so far have struck out. If anyone can lend a hand, it would be much appreciated. I hope to soon become a lead man myself and help mentor young men (and possibly women) in this field. Thank you.

Post Likes
    Field experiance is a great learing tool, assuming you have a truely educated and sharing mentor.

But this is no substitute for hitting the books in a local trade school. Todays systems require more than knowing how to change a belt.

Post Likes
    Try a hvac book but the best way to learn is do it when you get done with one thing ask what do you won't me to do next this will show that you won't to learn & most guys will take you under there wing.

Post Likes
    Contact your distributor and see what classes he has scheduled and attend every one.

Post Likes

You are simply not going to learn all that you need to know on the job. You need an instructor. Enroll in technical school.

Post Likes
    If you are looking at a service tech job go to school if you are looking at a installer job you can learn it as a helper just work hard.

Post Likes
    You need both school, and field.

And don't expect to be mentoring helpers in the near future, this isn't a trade that you can learn in a year.

Weather you want to do install only, service only, or both, do alot of searhes on this board, and you'll discover that we all ask questions sooner, or later, no matter how long we've been in the trade.

I'm on my 30th year, and I still go to seminars and classes.

Good Luck, and stick with it.

Post Likes

"There is no substitute for experience and experience is no substitute for study"

Norm Christopherson

Post Likes
    You need to screw uo and have the lead man make you fix it. pay attentiona and ask alot of questions

Post Likes
    Originally posted by pipedope
    You need to screw uo and have the lead man make you fix it. pay attentiona and ask alot of questions

That is the hard way to learn. It is easier to learn the right way from a seasoned instructor than learn by your mistakes. I prefer to learn the principles behind how it works and aviod as many mistakes as possible. We all mess up enough without making that our primary method of learning!

There is nothing like learning the principles of physics, mechanics and electricity first and then applying them properly and avoiding the problems as much as possible.

Nothing beats a good combination of study and application.

Norm

Post Likes

training

Recommend some good hvac textbooks, such as ones produced by Goodheart-wilcox publishers, ESCO institute books, look on amazon under hvac books. There are lots of titles and yes as other have stated you need practical and theory. Start with the basics and build from there.

Post Likes

Here is my recommended book list:

http://www.bacharach-training.com/norm/recommended.htm

Plus of course, my own book "Pal's HVAC Tech Certification Guide" advertised at the top of HVAC talk's page.

Norm

Post Likes

books

recently also purchased and read the volumes 1,2,3 of the Audel hvac fundamentals. found them very helpful and for the price affordable for the information contained in them.

Post Likes

Re: books

Originally posted by wyoming
    recently also purchased and read the volumes 1,2,3 of the Audel hvac fundamentals. found them very helpful and for the price affordable for the information contained in them.

Even though the fundamentals remain the same, the Audels books are a bit out of date.

In addition, the book "Modern Refrigeration and Air Conditioning" by Althouse, etc... is also out of date and contains a few errors. Is more of a reference book than a textbook too. There are better.

Norm

Post Likes
    ASHRAE handbook, acca manual s, d, etc. why not check out the international mechanical code book, building code book, smacna, just read your a** off and use those around you to help make sense of it all. This forum is awesome too!

Post Likes
    first start here, there is alot of info at your fingertips. next i would suggest you read install guides that come with the equipment that you are/ will be installing. learn to read wireing diagrams. ask lots of questions and when you get a free minute look over equipment and see how and why it works.

Post Likes

education - no substitute

I am a firm proponent of education. Experience is a good teacher, but only if you take the time to learn from the experience. Have seen many individuals with 'years' of experience that I would not hire.
    Had an electrician once, Said he had 30+ years experience.
    Could not use a megger, could not draw a schematic diagram, was only a pipe bender / wire puller, I guess.
    Had an 'HVAC mechanic' apply for a position, but could not draw the schematic diagram for a cooling unit with strip heat. Could not even draw a thermostat diagram. And yet he had 10 years experience which included service.
    To me, experience allows a person to troubleshoot, maybe, 60% - 70% of problems - the rest are monkey-see-monkey-do.
    With proper technical school training, that same tech could troubleshoot 80% to 90% of problems.

I believe in education!!!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by NormChris

You are simply not going to learn all that you need to know on the job. You need an instructor. Enroll in technical school.

If this is going to be your "career", listen to Norm.

If this is a job for a while, you can read a book or two and get by.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in