Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    may get to hear alot more of me as i'm thinking that i am going to go thru with the back surgery....it's been 2 years now and i have tried the shots and tried the light-duty and it's not getting any better......the neurologist has down for surgery...procedure:left L5/S1 micro lumbar laminectomy and discectomy.....has any one been thru this with some advice??thanx in advance.....mo-flo.

If you can walk and perform in this industry like you have, you don’t need it. There are treatments out there which can help, like the machine you get on which puts you in traction and stretches out the spine. It has been proven to work in 20 treatments or less with an 80-90 % success rate.

Most important thing is to lose the weight and get into a good exercise program to build up the abs. I mean a serious workout, 5-6 times a week, not some sissy workout.

I was told I needed back surgery. A friend recommended I see a chiropractor. I did and am glad. It took about 8 months of treatment but I missed minimal work, the cost was less than a tenth of the anticipated cost for surgery without figuring the OR and hospital stay, and I can do things now I couldn't do before I had back problems.

You just have to go to a reputable, proven chiropractor...no different than choosing a surgeon. If he's a good one and cannot be effective in treating you, he'll say so. Ask lots of questions locally about him. There are some chiro's where I live who are true quacks but the one I went to did a GREAT job for me.

It is at the very least worth looking in to. Your back's health is central to your overall health and well being in virtually every facet of life.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

i weigh 150 lbs. and used to be able to go in any crawl or attic,work all day....now my legs get so tight,it's hard to even walk.can't even hardly put any weight on my left leg....it gets to hurting just sitting/laying around.i've done had the m.r.i and figure while it is slow right now is the time to do it.....i just want it fixed,not something that is gonna come back up on me.the shots worked,but how much damage have i done with trying to work and taking pain pills and muscle relaxers to mask the pain....just to have it come back up on me.it's starting to get me down....i've got 2 little girls to raise and i have been turning down a lot of work because i'm afraid my back won,t let me get thru the job....i've heard about the traction thing....does it really work??i have talked to a lot of people and every one says something different....we figure we better get it done while i am covered by insurance.this has turned into one of the biggest decisions in my life and i don't know what to do...

Smile mo-flo

My father had your problem when he was 69 years old. He injured his back trying to lift one of those concrete parking curbs. He did everything that madeinusa and bootlen mentioned. Then, still had to have the surgery. The recovery was somewhat quick. It was a success. Since then we have done numerious construction jobs, 30'x30' metal buildings and carports and mechanical jobs like replacing the crankshaft in my 1 ton box van, without pulling the engine, also installing a hydraulic lift. He's doing well at 73 now. Good luck mo-flo, Roy

thanx roy,i'm 33.......hope i'm as tough as your dad.they said recovery takes about 6 weeks.

Mo-flo I have no clue what "procedure:left L5/S1 micro lumbar laminectomy and discectomy" that procedure is, but I have attended several "save-a-back" classes put on by one of our customers, Honda puts on these classes for their workers and it was pretty informative.

The most interesting thing I got from these was that the average person who undergoes back surgery will have a total of 4.7 surgeries on their back. I have a neighbor who has had a couple of vertebraes fused together and he has gone back under the knife 5 more times to try and clean up scar tissue, seems the doc failed to mention that fact before the first cut and the scar tissue keeps forming after each surgery. He can no longer work and is on disability.

At these classes they kept refering to the McKenzie Institute, apparently they have had a lot of success with other means of treatment besides surgery, you might check out this link and see if there is someone trained in their methods near you. At 33 years old I would sure be leary of getting cut on.

http://www.mckenziemdt.org/index_us.cfm

Sorry this comes off as so negative, those classes really scared the hell out of me when it comes to back surgery.

I hope everything works out for you, take care

If you dont stand behind our troops, please feel free...........to stand in front of them.

Hey mo-flo, i had the L5/S1 laminectemy with a L4 Discectomy 8 years ago. Suffered with shots and everyother treatment option for 6 years prior. Wish I had done the surgery thing earlier instead of waiting. Was off work 4 months for recovery (scheduled during slow time). I have no pain or back problems, still working in the field lugging ladders, compressors, etc with no problems. Only real issue is athritis type pain, i can tell when its gonna rain. Doc warned me that might be possible, but its a whole lot better than the legs not working.

Mo-flo, did you ever look into getting this product http://www.glaciercross.com/index.cfm which was in this thread http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=65079 you even participated in a short while ago.

You might even want to try the machine you can get in sporting good stores where you lock your legs in then rotate your body upside down and let your own body weight stretch out your spine and it lets the discs get back close to normal, just as the traction machine does I talked about. You need to try the traction machine. They claim before you even get in all 20 procedures, 80-90% of patients claim it is successful. It is covered by insurance plans also.

Just remember, doctors will sell you an operation to make money, just like a hack will sell a complete install instead of correcting the problem.

[Edited by madeinusa on 02-09-2005 at 01:03 AM]

I had this surgery 2 years ago, great success, short recovery, and no further back trouble since. Good Luck with yours.

thanx for the advice guys.

had 3 vertibrae fused approx. 8 yrs. ago took a piece of bone from my hip which was the most painful part.
    never felt better after it healed up. would do it again
    if the need ever comes up.
    best of luck

I dont know the history of your problems but check out the chiropractor if you havent done so already. Alot safer than surgery and easier to handle.

Doc wanted to open up my shoulder when I was about 17(chronic dislocations), did physio and the problems are alot less bothersome, have the chiro adjust it once in awhile now.

Where are you?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast