Thread: Rheem Condensable

Post Likes
    I have a Bad Pressure switch on this Rheem Furnace. It is a RGED model. It has a double (PS) One from the intake and one at the exhaust. I have a adjustable (PS) and need to know the following. Will a Clevland adjust 1-4 work safely with this furnace set at the RHEEM setting of 1.65 WC.
    The reason I need to know for those who will ask. I have been waiting for Rheem to send me a replacment for 2.5 weeks and now I'm told it will be 2-3 more weeks for the part. Its a long time to not have heat in JAN & FEB in TN
    Thank you for any who can help a spec sheet for this unit would be GREAT. Cause rheem wont help us ASdealers.

Post Likes
    You have confirmed that the pressure switch is bad and not just doing it's job? That model is notorious for splitting open and the inducer can't pull a vacuum and the PS shuts it down.

Maybe Doc H can give you more info.

Post Likes

well

I"m not sure if the pressure switch is bad or not.
    a week before this the igniter went out replace and it worked fine.
    Now with current problem. Rheem tech informed me what he Called the (COFFE Can ) was bad to rust out. I removed it no missing metal I cleaned it when I tried to relite the furnace had a small boom. like the gas built inside and lit at the last sec. now the PS will not close. These units are rare here and to tell the truth the thing about scares me. How would you test the heat exchanger?
    smoke or digital manometer? I was goning to disconect gas valve. and see if unit trys to fire with new switch. My thought being if the switch closes then the exchanger must be ok. Any advice is welcome.
    If I new what inch WC to expect I would check it but I cant even find out. since the POSitive works with the negetive.
    I only know the to together need to be 1.65wc

Post Likes
    whats the full model number and serial.
    you might as well tell the cust they need a new furnace
    you could be trying to fix this awile
    does the board have amber light on it so you can see if it senses flame?

Post Likes
    Frankly if you dont know what pressure is at the pressure switch you cant assume the switch is bad.

I would probably revisit the job and find out for sure. It would suck to leave a customer without heat on a hunch only to find out the switch wasnt the problem.

The boom may have been a result of a misaligned ignitor on reassembly and split the HX and you may need to replace the furnace. That model HX is no longer availble, you can however get 375 I think toward a new furnace if the HX is broke. Use you manometer or magnahelic and determine if the hx is cracked.

[Edited by docholiday on 02-07-2005 at 08:22 PM]

Post Likes
    Originally posted by docholiday

That model HX is no longer availble, you can however get 375 I think toward a new furnace if the HX is broke. Use you manometer or magnahelic and determine if the hx is cracked.

[Edited by docholiday on 02-07-2005 at 08:22 PM]

I have also recieved the letter from Rheem about the heat exchangers. I guess their availability is varying from state to state. I just purchased 9 sections last week, to keep in stock for emergencies.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by htg guy
    Marriage is'nt a word, it's a sentence!
    The institution of marriage.... who wants to live in an institution the rest of their life?

Post Likes

ok

Thank you all for the help

Post Likes

conair

The furnace would have to light in order to sense the flame. And on this model the HSI is also the FS.
    I dont know now. But next time I will know what to do. All I can do is learn learn and fix.
    The PS Does not close since the Small EXPLOSION So I thought maybe it blew out the diaphram.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in