Thread: How does a variable speed AH regulate airflow?

Post Likes
    If you have the kind that is designed to maintain a desired airflow regardless of duct work, within limits of course, how does it work? I assume there is some kind of pressure sensor, but where is it located? Is it in the motor housing itself? Just curious.

Post Likes
    Good question Bob,

The ECM motors module monitors torque required to turn the motor. Blower curves for specific HP, blower wheel size and static pressure are graphed and configured into the software the ECM motor uses. Each model, size, brand used specific software that is written for the speific unit.

The motor reads the torque and then adjusts accordingly. The actual CFM or static is not read. Some equipment may even offer a readout but it is a conversion from torque.

I should also add that most equipment has a control board with dip switches which configures 24v signals to the module so dehumidification, and other changes can be made without rewriting the software for each application.

Hope this helps. Now donate 3 bucks to the local childrens hospital.

Post Likes
    I have always womdered how that would be affected by a dirty blower wheel
    If the superheat ain't right it ain't charged right.

Post Likes
    Well, I suspect unless the weight of the dirt becomes a factor (enertia), the torque is primarily affected by the air being moved. Variable speed is certainly no cure all for poor ducts or maintenence.

Post Likes
    Finally I get to pick on somebody for misspelling
    Inertia.

Boy, that felt good after all the crap I get over not being able to spell.
    If the superheat ain't right it ain't charged right.

Post Likes
    Thats it, bust my chops for that. Can the owners of this site offer spell check?

Its the keyboard, yeah thats it the keyboard that did it.

if the I and E werent so close it never wouldve happened. I mean they are less than 5 inches apart.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in