Question

I would like to ask for everyones help is choosing what brand to choose? I need a new furnace approx 70,000 btu and 3 ton A/C unit I want high efficiency. Any suggestions on contractors?

don sleeth - HVAC-Talk Founder
    HVAC Computer Systems
    Heat Load Calculation Software

Thanks Don! Excellent information. Don or anyone else; do condenser come automatically with the correct evap coil or are there diiffrent grades?

Riverside California

Originally posted by kdawg
    I would like to ask for everyones help is choosing what brand to choose? I need a new furnace approx 70,000 btu and 3 ton A/C unit I want high efficiency. Any suggestions on contractors?
    Were located out of Riverside,CA, serving the Inland Empire....

[Edited by AllTemp on 02-08-2005 at 01:31 AM]
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

do condenser come automatically with the correct evap coil or are there diiffrent grades?
    A package unit comes with the coil installed. A typical split residential system does not. The contractor and/or customer have to specify. If you live in a dry climate (as I believe you do), get a BIG coil with a TXV. Proper airflow with a big coil (high efficiency) and a TXV will make your system deliver a LOT more usable capacity versus the typical system that has low airflow and a small, cheap coil.

kdawg, if you are within the area serviced by AllTemp, your worries are over, call him.

don
    HVAC Computer Systems

Post Mfg/ARI Matched

Thanks Don! Excellent information. Don or anyone else; do condenser come automatically with the correct evap coil or are there diiffrent grades?
    you should be certain that the evaporator coil chosen matches the manufactures specifications and that of ARI.

Being in SC you have great opportunity for some GREAT Energy Rebates... Good Luck To You..
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

Brand is not near as important as the installation.
    We may be more local to you- we are in San Dimas.

Thank you for all your replies.

Anyone know any good or bad info regarding a company in Anaheim, California named Econoair. They are on website e-conoair.com. They have done work for 5 of my relatives, 4 of my neighbors and they seem to be professional, knowledgeable, and clean.

I won't say anything negative about any company-
    They are cheap, I'll say that. They used to bid lots of stuff around here but haven't seen them around for awhile.

Here's my tips to hiring a contractor:
    Make sure you get a contractor who services what they sell. There's alot of companies who install, but if you need service on a Saturday, Sunday or holiday- forget it.

Low bid usually equals low quality install. The best, highest efficiency system means nothing if it's installed wrong.

Insist on a Manual J. Most will credit the Man J towards contract.

Bigger company isn't always better. Just because you've seen their trucks around, ads on TV, big yellow page ads, etc means little IMO. Everytime you call- you will see a different face at the door. Some people don't like that & prefer a smaller family owned business.

What do their trucks look like? If it's a leaking, rusty mess- chances are your install may look the same.

Call their office & see if you actually get a person on the phone. Nothing more frustrating for some customers than dealing w/ pagers, call forwarding to cells, or "enter 1 to get an estimate- enter 2 to dispatch a call", etc etc etc.
    Or the worst during day- a voice mail asking you to leave your number & someone will call you back.

How long have they been in business? You don't want to install a new system & a year later call for service & number is no longer in service.

Make sure they are licensed & bonded & have no complaints filed w/ CSLB. BBB means nothing IMO- you can get on their bad side by not paying your dues! Make sure they have a business license for the city you live in & pull their own permits. Red flag is asking owner to pull a owner/builder permit for them to "save money".

Never- I repeat- never, pay more than a 10% deposit or $1000.00- whichever is less at contract signing. That's the law in California! Never pay upfront.

Take a big referal list w/ a grain of salt. The list will contain all their best customers!

Insurance- make sure they have Workman's Comp if they have employees working at your home & carry a liability policy. If an employee falls off a ladder & is injured & contractor is uninsured, guess who pays? You!

Warranty- make sure they stand behind their install. You don't want to be searching the phonebook for a warranty job!

Get lien releases from everyone working there & from all suppliers. If they don't get paid- guess who pays, even if you've paid contractor in full! Insist on unconditional release on final payment.

Make sure the price is the price! Many companys will lowball a bid to be awarded contract. Then they will start install & then the flood of change-orders start. Oh, asbestos? That's not included. Patching? Not included. A pad under condenser? Not included. Flue vent needs replaced? Not included. Etc etc etc. Perfect example of a 5 minute lowball bid! I've been doing this for over 30 years. When I bid a job, bid is complete. If I miss something, that's my fault, not the homeowners!

Bids. Get 2 or 3, throw the lowball bid in trash. Make sure all bids are apples to apples. If joe blow's bid includes new ducts & abatement, while others are bidding equipment changeout only- guess who will be high? I always recommend to homeowner to comprise a list of what you want. Things like brand, type of thermostat, efficiency, energy star, EAC's, ducts, etc. Spell it all out. That way bids will all be based on same install. Perfect place to ask for a list is right here! Many times, HO will be telling every contractor a little different story as to what they want. Prices will vary accordingly. Go with your gut feeling & don't price shop. You get what you pay for.

Hope that helps.

Hmm

What is a Manual J.?

What is a Manual J.?
    It is the heat loss heat gain calculation that has been referred to above.

don
    HVAC Computer Systems