Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blown transformer

Post Likes
    I installed a new Comfort-Aire gas furnace in my sisters house today. After getting everything hooked up. I turned the thermostat up to start the furnance. The inducer moter ran for about 10 sec and we heard a pop come from the area of the control board and everything stopped. We inspected the control board for any signs of visible damage (burns) but did not see any. After checking for power to the board and to the transformer everything checked out OK. When we checked for power from the transformer there was none. All of the wiring was doubled checked and all was OK. The thermostat that is in the house is a Hunter. I know of Honywell and White-Rodger thermostats but did not know that Hunter made a heating/cooling thermostat. My question is, could the thermostat have caused the problem?

Post Likes
    This is not a DIY site...
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Post Likes
    Model # of the furnace and the phone # of the supply house you got it from would help. Again this is not a diy site. but could you tell us more where you got the unit?

Post Likes
    Answere is No,
    the t-stat did not cause the problem.
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

Post Likes
    My guess is you have a faulty installer, you can find a new one in the Yellow Pages

Post Likes
    First off I didn't say I was a DIY. I've installed furnancs before and had no problems. I asked a simple question, as I have seen on this forum. Also, I have no clue why asking for the number of the supply house I bought the furnance from has anything to do with the problem.

Post Likes
    The low voltage issue you describe is very simplistic in nature, you have a short.

What you interpet as an abrasive response is professional fustration that if a minor problem of this sort has you stumped - you have no business installing / servicing products that could burn a house down or kill someone.

The vendors Ph # was requested as he should be chastized for putting dangerous products in your hands. Ok - so now you saved a few bucks. It's time to call a professional B4 you hurt yourself.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by youngw
    First off I didn't say I was a DIY. I've installed furnancs before and had no problems. I asked a simple question, as I have seen on this forum. Also, I have no clue why asking for the number of the supply house I bought the furnance from has anything to do with the problem.
    Unless you are a licenced contractor with insurance, you are a DIY'er.
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by swampfox
    My guess is you have a faulty installer, you can find a new one in the Yellow Pages
    Lol. prolly should get a few spares just in case

Post Likes
    I've seen other techs start speaking in tounges,pulling their hair out, throwing their tools, going home, kicking the poor dog and jumping off roofs when trying to trace out a low voltage short to ground! Does this give you any clue why we can't help unless we're there? Don't forget we will need to be paid for all this!

Post Likes
    It was not my intention do offended anyone by posting my question. As I stated before I'm not a DIY. I have been doing this type of work for a number of years. My father was in the HVAC trade for years and also my brother was in the trade. I thought this was a simple question to see if anyone else had this type of problem happen to them.

Post Likes
    I have an uncle that is a doctor.... I still can't perform surgery, unfortunatly knowledge is not gained by osmosis. Family members in the trade don't automaticly enable you to opperate in the industry.

You install HVAC for a full time living? Are you licensed? Are your insured? How many continueing education classes per yr do you attend?

There is no secret we're keeping from you. If you wish this knowledge - go to school.

I repeat: What you interpet as an abrasive response is professional fustration that if a minor problem of this sort has you stumped - you have no business installing / servicing products that could burn a house down or kill someone.

Post Likes
    That is definatly a direct short. I really would call someone a little more advance in electrical skills. It sounds like you might want to look at the back of your board to confirm there was damage to it.
    I really would call someone though. If you still insist in installing it yourself, get a transformer w/breaker. Not that thats going to protect you against any damage occurring or any damage that has already occurred.

Post Likes
    And by the way...........There is not one person in here bitching that this is "not a DIY site", that hasnt tried
    repairing or fixing something that they were not qualified to do or try. Like fixing the car, fixing the lawn mower,
    fixing the outdoor lights, ect. You get my point though.

Just be polite about not wanting to help someone. There is no need to be prick about telling someone that maybe they should call someone with little more experience.

Written in regards to: HVAC God Complex has Struck again!

Post Likes
    Originally posted by brettln
    And by the way...........There is not one person in here bitching that this is "not a DIY site", that hasnt tried
    repairing or fixing something that they were not qualified to do or try. Like fixing the car, fixing the lawn mower,

Just be polite about not wanting to help someone. There is no need to be prick about telling someone that maybe they should call someone with little more experience.

Ditto!

Criticism builds hostility and bad attitudes. Criticism is poison to good human relations. You don't like to be criticized; so don't criticize other people. They don't like it, either. And you won't help accomplish anything good by criticizing. As your mother should have taught you, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

[Edited by mrbillpro on 02-08-2005 at 09:21 AM]
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes

Hmm

I agree with you Brettln, the guy asks a yes or no question, and it's like everyone wants to be the first to call him out as a DIY'er! He didn't ask how to fix it. Like it has been said here many times, if you don't want to be helpful, don't answer at all.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by BoltonNC
    Unless you are a licenced contractor with insurance, you are a DIY'er.
    Well I guess I am a DIY'er in everything but the A/C Business.
    Lol!
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Keep it simple disconnect the t-stat wires at the furnace,and check the transformer secondary voltage,if good jump it out with the wires off.If it works you have stat or stat wire problem.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by brettln

This is true, Most people have the common sense when to cut their losses and find true knowledge! BEST OF WISHES! Spend a few grand {U.S. Dollars} and let us know how it comes out. If you don't have the tools, the aptitude, or any training, how do you expect us to be able to help you? I am not trying to be upsetting to you but somehow you need to understand that some people have GOD given talent for what they do. What is your talent? Do you impose that everyone is as good as you?

Post Likes
    Use the short-pro tool to locate 24 volt short it will protect your 24 volt circuits while you test, and after
    that install the resttable fuse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in