Hybrid View

I am replacing my fan motor now and there is an extra wire that I am not sure what to do with. It is a replacement motor from AO Smith that is replacing a motor in a Rheem 90+ imperial furnace--it has an extra brown wire with white stripes. According to the diagram the white wire goes to line 1 and the brown/white wire goes to the capacitor along with the other brown wire. On the original motor the white wire went to the capacitor, along with the brown wire. The motor has this message on it " if a capacitor post is used to make common line 1 connection use same post that brown lead with white stripe is connected to" Where do I put the brown/white stripe wire?

Also, there are 4 other wires coming out of the motor--2 orange and 2 yellow. right now the orange is connected to the yellow and a yellow is connected to an orange--this is for CWSE if I want CCWSE than orange to orange and yellow to yellow. What does this mean--the direction of the rotation?

Any help would be nice before the cold sets in tonight--thanks.

You really need to call a pro, there was water in your unit and lots of other things. you have been shown this before so it wont surprise you.
    click here.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=1241

wire the motor the way the schamatic on the motor tells you to,if you cant do this call a contractor.This is very basic common sense

This is down right scary!!!
    A ammitted several time over diyer on his furnace is scary enough but on this particular furnace it is even more scary because of the high likelyhood of the heat exchanger being split open..
    And to think if this unit would have been checked by a Rheem pro before one of those repairs, that unit would probably be in the boneyard because of the crack they would find that has been in that unit for a while..

I don't work on rheems very often but every one I have checked in the last 3yrs had a crack in the H.E..
    Just about two weeks ago, I went out on a no heat call and the burner honeycomb was blown out and the H.E. had a big crack behind the limit.. However, I have found cracks in other places... The point being, I have yet to find imperial drum that did not have a cracked h.e. in over 3yrs..

There is a very high probability that your heat exchanger is bad also.. I would find a quality tech to check the heat exchanger over with a fine tooth comb..

More money wasted!!
    Good luck
    J

Exclamation

cwse is clockwise shaft end ccwse is counterclockwise shaft end.the two brown wires are for the cap,acommon and speed for the other three wires,low med.,high.does that make since.if not call service