Thread: Return chase

Post Likes

Air handler in center location of house in a small closet. The return grill is just above floor level. No return duct yet but it would save room and duct to use the wall chase and duct from top (intake) of air handler to wall chase. Is this effecient? The return grill is 24"x24". The chase length would be about 54" and about 12" of duct to air handler.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Not sure I understand the description.

Is it a downflow air handler/

Wall chase (space in a typical wall) is likely too small to handle 100% of the return air.

Sounds like it currently pulls air "around" the air handler in the closet,if so that's OK,just seal the closet tightly.

Post Likes
    I too am confused but it sounds like a noisy installation

Post Likes

Noisy

Being noisy is a concern with hardly any return duct. The return is centrally located in the house, a good location. I could go through the ceiling an pull off the ceiling several feet away from the airhandler but the return duct will be in unconditioned air in the attic.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes

Re: Noisy

Originally posted by robertee
    Being noisy is a concern with hardly any return duct. The return is centrally located in the house, a good location. I could go through the ceiling an pull off the ceiling several feet away from the airhandler but the return duct will be in unconditioned air in the attic.
    In that case ,insulate the duct,a few feet will not create a lot of "duct gain",temperature wise.

Tell us more about the way it's installed.Downflow,space above and on the sides of equipment,can the wall be made "deeper" than a 2X4,etc.????

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in