Thread: Got a job!!!!!

Thumbs up

So I graduated with a A.O.S. a lil while ago (Dec) And have been looking for employment and I really got lucky with a local Company that does rooftops here in my hometown. Anyways I'm exited. Thought I'd spread the word.

Congrats. Stick with it and have pride in your work.

Sounds good, congrats, I like rooftops, when the weather is decent I mean, but commercial work like that is usually good work.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

A new rookie on a rooftop this is bad I just hope they don't thow you off.haha good luck

Originally posted by mike4hvac
    So I graduated with a A.O.S. a lil while ago (Dec) And have been looking for employment and I really got lucky with a local Company that does rooftops here in my hometown. Anyways I'm exited. Thought I'd spread the word.
    Mike....way to go..good luck...and all that stuff. Working rooftops, You really got to pay attention to some basic safety if you want to stay on the job...ladders being #1.
    Like Dice said...rooftops are good work..when the weather is good. Don't know where you're from, but if it includes winter sometimes the work gets tough. I'm sure you're going to do fine. Mike..why not fill out your profile?

Well I did fill out a little in my Profile tonight. I am in the great state of Colorado so I can expect "special" Temperatures in the winter lol. I am really exited to do this job but really worried as it’s the first time I have ever done something besides Grocery Work in a number of years. I do know how to read a diagram and know a high side from a low side. I know how to take Sub-cooling, Super-Heat readings, and supply and return air readings, and am aware of what the different components do in a system, but I still have trouble diagnosing a Mechanical problem. As far as Electrical Problems I feel pretty comfy as I am handy with a meter and know how to test components. I am reading up in my text books every night from now till I start (on Wed). I will be paired up with an exp. tech but I don’t want to seem stupid you know? I knew the guy they originally hired and he was in the same classes as me and they fired him after a few months 'cause he sucked. I know why he sucked too, because he only showed up to half his classes and really did not participate when he was there. But that’s beside the point. I do plan on taking a note book and Pencil with me to take notes from this guy that I will be working with. And I hope that is Kosher. They want me reasonably ready by Sept. so this guy can take a few weeks off when I'll take over the resident Tech Duties for a couple weeks. I feel like that is my measuring stick as a tech. It's very important to me that I am able to do this. I am going to be a father in 7 Months and want to have a successful career as a father like my father did. Not just a job. "September or Bust"!

Mike,

Congrads on the job and especially the baby! Be sure and keep us posted on both. Sounds like you has a mission. My best goes out to you and the wife, on both parts.

John

I started out in Colorado a long time ago....Insulated coveralls, long-johns, stocking hat-skimask. This time of the year lots of gas heating problems....ignition systems,combustion blower motors,gas valves. Always tie off your extension ladder!! good luck and congrats on the job and on the new father role.
    How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Colorado has a "c" in it and so does excited. We don't want you to get "exited" from you new job. Good luck in the trade. You did the right thing by getting your Associates degree first thing. That will take you a long way.

[Edited by benncool on 02-07-2005 at 04:07 PM]

Originally posted by mike4hvac
    I will be paired up with an exp. tech but I don’t want to seem stupid you know?
    I've had a few "new guys" ride with me, here are a few pointers...

Don't be afraid to be yourself.
    Don't be afraid to ask questions.
    Keep your eyes and ears open.
    Do take notes (impresses the hell out of me when someone new brings their own pad and pen).
    Ask if you can do the hands-on stuff (time allowing).
    Learn the politics and personalities of your new workplace before commenting on anything!
    Find out "why" not just "how".

Im so glad to hear a young man like yourself with enthusiasm for the hvac trade ; there is a definite shortage of techs. Keep a good attitude and learn all you can, and, you will be an asset to your employer and the Trade overall. Youll always have a job no matter where you move to, and, if youre a good tech, youll be able to command what you get paid. Good luck and congrat's.

Thanx for all the helpfull comments fellas. This is a great site with many pro's and it shines through once again.