Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hmm

I work for a large university. Our shop has 20 techs.
    On-call pays $100 a week to carry the cell phone and time and a half ( no one or two hour min.) for overtime. Time starts when you leave home and ends when you get back. This is for everyone in the shop. Does this sound reasonable? Does comparing, on-call, for a facility, verses a residential or commercial service company make a difference? If you reply, please include what your company pays for on-call and call out and if you do residential, commercial or work for a facility work. Do you think that area (where you live in the USA) make a difference?

Thanks
    (sorry if this got posted twice, my computer locked up when I sent it the first time)

On call is a can of worms no matter how you deal with it.

Our company has 3 main tech's that do commercial all the time, they are on call basically 24/7. They aren't paid more, but do get time and a half anytime they have to go out. Luckily they don't have to go out hardly at all since most of it can wait until the next day.

The dept I work in does mostly residential, and it's rotated every 6 weeks or so. You get the on call phone, no bonus, you get time and a half, plus the time you leave your house till you return home. The policy is just emergency's or if it's elderly people who's health is at risk. But when there's certain people at the office, you go no matter if it's and emergency or not.

For the most part it's the same in this area.

My personal beliefs is if you reward someone for being on call (like you are doing by giving them some insentive) you'll buy a lot of loyalty. But just expecting it as part of the job seems to be a downfall to morall. One awesome option is to hire someone who's eager to work and is happy to do the on call all the time. And if you manage to find someone like that you better come here and tell us (and find out if he has any brothers that are like that for the rest of us who hate on call).

Federal law stated that an employee shall be "justly compensated" for all hours he is required to be avable to work.
    The state of Calif labor board has determined that "just compensation" is at least minimum wage.

Working under an operating engineer's union contract I get 1/2 time pay for every hour that I am required to be on call. and if I get called out it is 4 hours minimum starting from the time I leave home.
    Len
    Old snipes don't die they just loose their steam

Originally posted by snipe70e
    Federal law stated that an employee shall be "justly compensated" for all hours he is required to be avable to work.
    The state of Calif labor board has determined that "just compensation" is at least minimum wage.

Working under an operating engineer's union contract I get 1/2 time pay for every hour that I am required to be on call. and if I get called out it is 4 hours minimum starting from the time I leave home.
    Len
    I get a whole 9$ for on call ( if not called out ).
    1.5 pay from the time I get in the van , to the time I get back home . Union supermarket refrigeration in Southern California.
    On call usually 1 weeknight(not always)and every 4-5 weekends Friday-Monday 0600hrs. ( usually lotsa'fun)

StaefaWarrior: Sounds pretty fair to me. You get $100.00
    whether you get a call or not? That's great. We just get
    time and a half (if you've already got your 40 in); it doesn't matter whether it's Saturday, Sunday, or Christmas Day. I would be thankful for any bonus.

That $100 bucks would be nice. Your guys have it good. We are a facilities maint now and our policy is 3 hour min which is only fair. Then it's 1.5 after that. I'm on call every other week and that $100 would be sweet.

$75 for carrying pager whole week. OT traveling time
    for each response. Each response is OT (time x1.5).
    No minimums. No double time on Sunday.

Resi, and light commercial.
    $100 for being on call for the week.
    1.5 door to door.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

We get one hours pay for each weekday on call, two hours for each weekend day. If no calls come in we get nine hours pay. For the calls that do come in we get time and a half, two hours minimum.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Wink

In house, hospital hvac. On call every other week, $3.00
    per hour on-call nights, weekends, and holidays. Three
    hours time and a half minimum if called in.

I do industrial HVAC , we are on call about one week every three months. We get 2 hours OT pay for being on call and 1.5x from the time we leave or house till we get back home. Saturdays are 1.5x , and Sundays are 2x automatically.

Originally posted by bmbradley
    In house, hospital hvac. On call every other week, $3.00
    per hour on-call nights, weekends, and holidays. Three
    hours time and a half minimum if called in.

You and Snipe have a great deal with on call.
    I guess you are also union?

On call for one week every five weeks. Paid 1.5 from when
    I leave until I return. No minimum, no bonus. Res/lt. com.,
    & refr. What constitutes an emergecy is defined by customer.
    If they say come we go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast