Thread: contactor

Post Likes
    im working on a heat pump& the contactor will not pull in (new contactor)if push in it works.what could be the problem

Post Likes

Hmm

On a heat pump? Plenty of things!

This is a job for someone who understand the troubleshooting of complex circuits with inductance loads. There is no way to talk you through this without shocking you or damaging other components. It depends on what brand it is, who installed it, how old, what model, which controls and circuits, which color code(if any) was used in the field wiring, etc...

No way!
    "That's good enough..." usually isn't.

Post Likes
    How long have you not had Heat/AC???

So far you have bought a contactor and wasted all the time driving and installing it.

At what point do you call someone that knows what they are doing?
    It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.

~Albert Camus

Post Likes

Talking

its probably hadnt gotten a call from thermostat telling it to contact. them components communicate you know
    if theh dont talk then they dot work togeather. they need communication man.
    Goodbyee stranger it's been nice. Hope you find your paradise! Hey it aint rocket science, "It's a Trade !"

Post Likes

Talking

Sounds like it could be communications transceiver problem.

Post Likes
    It really depends on which contact he bought. Soem or by remote control to talk to the stat and some are battery operated. Then there are ones that are voltage like 110 on coil 24 volt on coil, I would check if the battery was installed correctly.

Post Likes
    I could tell you 8 quick possibilities(and there's more then that), but i don't want you to hurt yourself.

Call a contractor.

Post Likes

Some contactors have

24, 120, or 240 volt coils. Hope you bought the right one.
    Would you perform brain surgery on yourself!!
    Call a qualified tech before you short out your neigborhood power grid!!!

Post Likes
    i guess what im trying to see is if anyone can throw an idea about the 24 volt side of it that i might be missing & its not the thermostat.i have high voltage.i was wondering if it could be sort in low voltage wiring.the whole unit is new,i didnt replace cantactor,it reads fine.(not a home owner)sometimes many heads are better than one

Post Likes
    Because

Post Likes
    Because of the lack of info your giving, you don't sound like a contractor, but you do souond like a home owner.

You didn't give, make, brand, model serial, of outdoor, and indoor, what t stat, or any voltage reading.

Nor does your profile have anything in it to suggest your more then a DIYer.

I could be wrong, you could be a 30 day wonder.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by charles307
    im working on a heat pump& the contactor will not pull in (new contactor)if push in it works.what could be the problem
    Maybe its out of freezone and the low pressure control is thirsty.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

Post Likes

not trying...

...to be a wise azz but if you cant troubleshoot at least that much then you should be working under supervision

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in