My Janitrol (Heat Pump)system is 13 years old. The compressor
    > shorted out to ground and needs to be replaced. I am
    > getting two different stories on how I should precede.
    >
    > One side saids that the whole unit has to be replace because the new
    > compressor will not match up with the Heat Exchanger.
    >
    > The other side saids that Goodman manufactures a comparable Compressor
    > that will match up with the older Heat Exchager.
    >
    > The model numbers are Outdoor Compressor CPE18-1AB (1 1/2 ton) the heat
    > exchanger is model No. A24-10.

Direct replacement compressors are still redily available for that unit, Hoever, I would advise against replacing just the compressor.
    It is kind of silly to spend more than half of the replacement cost on a repair to a 13 year old unit. It is on the tail end of its expected life cycle and may have other component failurs in the near future.
    A new unit will have new unit warranties, and will be free of the crap that can get into the system when a compressor failes.
    This would be a very good time to look at replacing the whole system since all of it is on the tail end of its life cycle. Get an all new matched system in there.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

It is always best to replace the air handler when the outdoor unit must be replaced, that being said, to say there is not a unit available to match your air handler is not true, Goodman still makes an outdoor unit that would work with your air handler, or you could simply replace the compressor in your existing outdoor unit. neither is your best long term option but still a possibility.

These guys gave you good advise and I would do the most that your budget allows. I have learned the hard way over the years and this is what I have found. I will replace a compressor only if its under warranty, and if its not under warranty replace the coil,line set, and outside unit. 50% of the time you will have problems if this is not followed and the guy that just spent all the money for the compressor will not be a happy customer.

Isn't that model number the outdoor units m number.

If your buget allows, change out both units, and upgrade to a higher eff unit, it will save you money on both your heat, and cooling bill.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Whatever choice you make I would suggest having a qualified service tech do the start-up to prevent a premature failure. There is an underlying cause for the shorted compressor.

underlying cause for grouded windings i agree,this just happened to me after a compressor change out.I found the reversing valve was sticking sometimes half way in heating,if i did not check the unit by switching it from cooling and heating i wouldve killed the new compressor

I thought those Bristol compressors were programmed to do that after so many hours of run time.

Hey thanks for the replies. I believe you have a may a good case to replace the whole system. When I was first notified of the problems with the system and what my options were I was a bit numbed. Surely they last longer than 13-15 years, ah no that its about what how long they last. Oh the joy of home ownership...At least I have picked up some understanding about Heat pumps and such.