Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    When I wad reading the reply's on this and some guy come up with saying sets the ladder above a roof hatch and chain a chainfall to raise pumps. Thats a awesome idea I never thought of before.

Originally posted by Dowadudda

I did go to Home Depot and messed with the knock off Gorrilla brand. It was early in the AM and so I sat there out in the middle of the floor and simply just got used to extending it, setting it up, in all configurations.
    I bought one at HD, and wish I had bought the Little Giant instead. Maybe the HD one is similar to the LG one now, but the one I have is very limited. I have it, so I use it around the house. Would never take this one on service

I'd love to have one too. Another added benifit, as I recall, it can also come apart and be 2 ladders... very handy when ya got a helper but only 1 ladder. I've heard the other ladders (not little giants) are ok, but not as sturdy. Probably would work fine for home use, but if you need it every day why not spend the extra on it?

I'm not sure why it works out this way, but we have one at our company, and it happens to be on the supervisors truck that runs the service dept.

If they bought me one I'd take it in a heart beat, but I'd still carry a light 3-4' ladder for the smaller jobs.

Many d's called them contraptions. And he is right. I get sucked into buying stuff like this and then it just sits in the shop and nobody uses it.

One of my biggest lousy purchases was one of these:

What a dog this thing is. Anyway, I guess the lesson I learned was don't be "the first kid on block" to own a new tool.

We just use this one......

http://www.yeats.net/

Very repairable after you bust a part with a 800 lb boiler.

Did you see that new ladder in the grainger book?

Well, it's 4DB23. I don't want to post a link into my personal account but the ladder looks pretty cool. Handy too.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Re: We just use this one......

Originally posted by spotts
    http://www.yeats.net/

Very repairable after you bust a part with a 800 lb boiler.

Did you see that new ladder in the grainger book?

Well, it's 4DB23. I don't want to post a link into my personal account but the ladder looks pretty cool. Handy too.
    Right! Ever since we bought the bucket truck we just hook on to the boiler and drag up the old one and drop in the new one.

PS. Aw, come on Jack, what is your Graniger #?? I promise I won't buy anything in your name.

Jack, not sure if you know this but this is the same manufacturer were talking about buddy.

I got a chance to talk to a guy today who has one. The 23 fiberglass one. He is about 45 years old and one tough and awesome service mechanic guru. Said to me, "love it, aint no other ladder better than this one".

Sold.

Well I want 1 too.

Neat how it makes different step ladders and extension ladders.
    Shows how much I pay attention.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

I never been a contraption freak. Always like the trusted old ways. But I have come into my own renasaince so to speak. There has been a zillion infomercials on these lately. So I figured what the hell, I'll go check er out. I went and messed with the Home Depot version, called Gorrilla. Never ever have been for stuff like this. Man I sure liked it. I took er up to near one of the concentric cheap ass diffuzers they use for their rooftops.

I ordered mine today, be here tommorow afternoon. I got the 22 model. Fiberglass.

I like that 13 too.

be a handy dude on the install truck. I think I want both but dont have a need right now, Have to wait till one gets rund over.
    Walter Matthau

Originally posted by StaefaWarrior
    Check out this ladder.
    http://www.telesteps.net/product.htm
    They have a A-Frame ladder that I bought off QVC that is not shown on there web site.
    The A-Frame ladder fits behind the set of my truck. In the winter the six foot A-Frame I had before was always frozen in the snow in the back of my truck. The A-Frame is only rated for 250 lbs. I guess that won't work for some of you. HA HA....

Be very careful of those ladders. They were linked to numerous deaths. There was a recall at one point. I actually know of a few guys that got very hurt on them.
    Warning: Just because I am over the head injury doesn't mean I'm normal!

The day I stop learning.... I'm dead!

Talking Werner version of LG

Werner now makes their LG clone. It's the ML series and comes in a type 1A 300lb rated aluminum for~$200.oo at the Orange Depot. We got the 22 ft one and it was just right for getting up into a dropped ceiling. Very stable and the mechanism seems well made, unlike most of Werner's extension ladders.

If you find yourself needing a sknny ladder to get up into those attic hatches, you might want to check out Alco-Lite in Florence, SC, who invented the aluminum ladder. They make super duty fire dept ladders. Check out their "attic ladder". These are the coolest thing. They come collapsed like two square poles about 2" square tubing. When you get it in place, pull them apart and the rungs, which were tucked inside the beams of the ladder swing out. The are only about a foot wide but you don't want a wide ladder for a ceiling hatch. I used them as a fire fighter and they're great. Very light.

I agree with the caution on the Telesteps. I have one and always have to check each clip, usually having to pry 2 or 3 into position. Also, the round feet suck for most surfaces. Still, properly used, it can be a real Savior. I once took one into an attic, extended it down behind an elevator shaft, cut through a floor, and dropped it down into the next condo. No other ladder could do this.

One other weird application is climbing down a fireplace chase or a shaft. Try using one of those chain type fire escape ladders with the window sill hooks at the top. Both this and my above application are confined spaces where OSHA would take a dim view of without an emergency contingency plan ready.

Dow you'll love it once you get used to it, went back once to standard ladder, never again, also can be used as a two man ladder,and only "A" frame that can be legally leaned against a wall as the inside fly can be left loose. Many times I will straddle the top as it is more comfortable and secure feeling. enjoy

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast