Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    FYI, they now make fiberglass Little Giant ladders...

Look it holds fat poeple to.

Check out this ladder.
    http://www.telesteps.net/product.htm
    They have a A-Frame ladder that I bought off QVC that is not shown on there web site.
    The A-Frame ladder fits behind the set of my truck. In the winter the six foot A-Frame I had before was always frozen in the snow in the back of my truck. The A-Frame is only rated for 250 lbs. I guess that won't work for some of you. HA HA....

A few years ago I saw the Telesteps ladder in an airline magazine. Had to have It. Paid about $350. Several months later saw the same ladder at HD for less than half. Good ladder but has some bounce that you have to get used to.

It takes up to much room.

They are pretty heavy, I only use them when I need to get a scroll comp up a roof hatch. Set it up over the hatch,(triangle shape) use a nylon strap with a chain fall and raise/lower the comp. Works pretty slick. cheaper than a crane. And can use it to get the comp in and out of the unit also with out breakin your back.
    But they are to heavy and awkward for interior office VAV work. Unless you are in there after hours and need scaffolding across a desk or something like that.

You girlies are kidding about the weight aint ya?!?! (around 45 - 50 lbs.)

Every truck in the fleet has one on it - some also have ladder racks on top for the big extension ladders. I am not familiar with the "TV" commercial - TV has a way of cheapening things or not showing the higher grade of product to the average consumer. Anyhow - best damn ladder I own - have one at home now too. Ours are a 5 rung folded so around 20 - 22' open. I weigh in around 220 and have carried up compressors on these - they will bow a lot but never droped me - yet

The old ones are very heavy the newer ones aren't that bad.

Well let me ask, cause I too have wondered about this contraption. So you can send er up just like an extension ladder is that right? I seen it on TV infomercial and was wanting to know how high she'll extend up. I want it if it goes to 22'. Jeez, that one ladder can take place of three or four. Fiberglass ones now too hey?. What are they rated at?

They have three models, the 450 dollar one is 23 feet, in extension ladder mode.

here is the web site.

https://www.ladders.com/vcc/littlegi...ladder/125756/
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!

Do any of you have any in depth hands on experience using these ladders for running service? I am not in too many situations where I need something over 12' in the A frame mode, and can not recall a time I have needed to be over 20 to 24' in extension mode. I currently carry a little 2 footer fiberglass, sweet for ice machines and such, then I got a 6', 8', 12' and then a 24' regular extension ladder. That extension ladder, is the one we all use normally. I can not remember the last time I needed the full length extended.

This ladder system to me solves each scenario I could be in on a call. Ever since this post came up I have been going over in my mind where the ladder system might not work for me. I can't come up with anything. So before I blow some money and to also calm me down from me over excited about this thing, I am asking any of you with some experience with them what you think. Actually relying on it as your ladder for service work. Whats the good and bad.

I did go to Home Depot and messed with the knock off Gorrilla brand. It was early in the AM and so I sat there out in the middle of the floor and simply just got used to extending it, setting it up, in all configurations. I think it's great. And something I could tottally get used to doing. Just a learned response. I have heard some guys frown on this, but it's like with the small PDAS and typing on a querty keyboard. I got that mastered in a week and now run my life via the thing. Work, house, pay my bills. I had to force myself not to go back to the easy paper and pen. To me this is like that. Just need to retrain myself setting it up. As I recall as being a green horn, setting up an extension ladder was a learned art.

I have seen one out of state mechanical outfit use them exclusively, I have had to do some refrigeration work as they did the hvac. That's the only ladder they got in their vans. I never paid attention and I have been on about a dozen jobs with these guys. Now I wished I had asked what they thought. But I do recall, they were using them for all kinds of positions needed.

Please give me some insight. I would greatly appreciate it. A new veihicle is in my line of sight, and man if I don't need a ladder rack on top, and plus the room it saves me inside I may look at a different way to set up a service truck as well. I would love not to have anything exterior. Simply for security, and weather conditions. No snow on the ladder, yada yada. I myself just can not come up with a good reason not to get one, and a million reasons why I should have one already.

I am in the same boat as you, I have almost purchased this ladder a dozen times. I guess I am waiting for someone else to do the deed for me, take a hit for the team as it were. from the posts so far it does not look like they are in that great of use.

The only time I have seen them used in great detail was at gas stations, they were a huge model, not on there current web site. they used them to reach the canopies over the pumps. I have only come across one guy who used the small model, he was an electrican that used it in a condo stairwell to reach a fixture, on the second floor. it was a real sweet deal for him.

[Edited by secorp on 02-13-2005 at 09:48 AM]
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!

Dowadudda, we have two in our small company, and use them for service every day. I'm the only tech without one, and that's because I'm too used to my set-up. Both the guys who use them really like them, with only the usual complaint that they are heavy. It works great when they need to be carried up stairs and such. I really like it when they arrive to a jobsite first, and have it set up to get on the roof, because I feel that they are much sturdier than my fiberglass extension ladder. I really like the wide bases. It makes it studier on the bottom, and you can just step trough it on the top, instead of around.

If you're looking for a ladder for service, and don't mind paying out the extra dough, then I say go for it. You won't be disappointed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast