Carrier 30gx and 30hx process chillers issues

2 carrier process chillers at 2 different locations-- 1 is air cooled and 1 is water cooled. Typical senario---- chiller sits idle or unloaded and as a process batch is made the chiller is balls to the wall and then batch is complete the chiller is running unloaded or idle again.

Due to low ambients and intermittent loads i am having the same issue on both chillers - low oil level alarms. neither chiller is equipped with mininum load valves. the air-cooled has motor masters and the water-cooled has a modulating valve on condenser water.(note-- no issues with chillers until low ambient issues occur.)

I need some suggestions. i don't think mlv will be enough and then there is the issue of no hot gas port on chiller barrel even if i wanted to install one.

Oh I'm sure the port is there somewhere might just have a plug in it . I take it that it has a flash tank style economiser on it. What series are these machines?
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

not sure on the series. will need to get model numbers. thinking series 4
    water-cooled -- no economiser
    air cooled -economiser

Crankcase heaters???

The compressors on these chillers do not have CC heaters. The MLV's would probably help with your oil problems. The port is there, with a plug in it. Not hard to pipe in and wire. Need to program the controller so that it knows the MLV is there. Check under the Setpoint heading, where you set the chill water setpoint. Make sure the settings for Head is 85 degrees for the HX and 113 degrees for the GX.

You are absolutely correct..My bad...

a carrier gxn chiller? Has oil pump? Filter pressure drop? Whats the discharge superheat? Oil sump has heater?
    “It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are.”

- E.E. Cummings