Hybrid View

How hot would one expect them to run?

voltsXamps=watts 1 watt=3.416 btu's
    3.416x#watts=btu output (relative)
    Sorry, just kinda thinkin' out loud. Whats the problem?

I've only seen a couple. They are really hot or I think they are. The ones today were around 140 on top of the cover.

Never really thought about it.

The ones I have in my house are a bit old (from the 70's believe). They get pretty hot, you can put your hand on it for a while, and it's definately hot, and will hurt, but nothing perminant or anything.

Not exactly a temp, but now I'm curious too...

Check the temperature with an IR thermometer. That will give you a pretty good idea of how hot they run.

Originally posted by NormChris

Check the temperature with an IR thermometer. That will give you a pretty good idea of how hot they run.

Thats what I did. 140 something when I checked.

Old nutty lady calls and says one of them is overheating. Said she turned the stat down and wont shut off. I quiz her about that heater and the other on the stat. One was warm but the other was too hot. These have limits and are dirrerent links. The only way to shut it off was the turn the line voltage stat to off. I think the 1968 stat is bad. Replace it and write up the ticket. She knocking on my window, (love that when that happens, second one to do that today) and says it's still too hot.

Long story short she's nuts and now has a new stat because she has no understanding that the heaters have to be hotter than 65 degrees to keep the space 65 degrees.

She also *****ed me out because I couldn't find the house in the first place. Then she says that Fire and Ambalance can't find her either and is pissed about that.