Thread: Good contractor found (NATE/BPI), but need 2nd opinion on Trane or Coleman. Thank you

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Confused Good contractor found (NATE/BPI), but need 2nd opinion on Trane or Coleman. Thank you

My parents have a two story home in North New Jersey, ~2250 sq. ft. living space (1500 top/750 ground floor) built 1982 with central heating. The A/C was added in 83 and both need to be replaced. After months of searching, I finally found a good contractor who is willing to do a Manual J and a static pressure test.

His recommendation:

Trane
    Furnace: XV95 (2 stage)
    Condenser: XR15

or

Coleman
    Furnace: CP9C (Modulating)
    Condenser: TCJF

Thermostat: Vision Pro 8000 or IAQ
    Media Air Cleaner: Honeywell F100
    New refrigerant lines
    Other miscellaneous items

Same price for both systems.

He recommends the Trane due to the increased reliability of the XR15 over the TCJF and it would reach 16 SEER, qualifying for the full COOLADVANTAGE rebate.

My questions are:

1. Which is the more reliable furnace based on your experience, insider knowledge, etc.?

2. Which is the more reliable A/C based on your experience, insider knowledge, etc.?

3. Which company's coils are better constructed/reliable?

4. Would a modulating furnace with a VS blower be problematic with the older ductwork or if additional supplies/returns need to be added?

5. Is the F100 necessary to filter out dust and pollen or is the regular furnace filter sufficient?

6. Based on my research on this forum I've decided on the IAQ for its ability to slow down the blower but is it a reliable stat?

Thank you for your time and for helping out an HVAC novice.

Post Likes
    I was a Trane dealer so you know what my first reaction is.
    That is not the point though,the contractor you pick is the point.Go with his advise.
    I think that with the effenciency of the newer equipment everyone should go with a much better filtering system to protect the equipment

Post Likes
    Thanks for the response. I am leaning towards the Trane myself but I am just not sure which would be the more reliable system overall. I have been lied too by so many unscrupulous HVAC installers. Anyway, I value the advice given by contributors on this forum.

Post Likes
    I was wondering if the modulating furnace would help close the temperature gap between the two floors? In the summer the downstairs is cooler while in the winter the upstairs is warmer?

Thanks

Post Likes
    Get the VisionPro IAQ or Prestige HD IAQ thermostat. They have more settings to control your system better.

Post Likes
    I guess before Nate and BPI ever arrived on the scene, all previous installations in this Country just really sucked, no one had a clue. I just don't understand, I guess some folks just like to pay more money for certifications, because no doubt, no one without these certifications has a clue, that would be like, what? 98% of the rest of us.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Twilly says Rheem.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilly View Post
    Twilly says Rheem.

Mr. Bill says, it's getting cold in Houston, can Twilly please turn that dang fan around, were good now.
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilly View Post
    Twilly says Rheem.
    huh??? did i miss somethin? Twilli switched to rheem???
    "When the people find they can vote themselves money,that will herald the end of the republic" - Benjamin Franklin

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force;like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action"- George Washington

Post Likes
    Bill, I agree certification is meaningless if the contractor is incompetent and by no means did I limit myself to contractors that were certified by whatever.

Twilly, I'd love to go Rheem but none of my Rheem estimates were willing to size the furnace properly. They just seamed to pull out a random number ranging from 80,000 to 100,000 btu based on experience.

So I have to chose between the aforementioned Trane and Coleman systems.

Thanks for your input though.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebas View Post
    Twilly, I'd love to go Rheem but none of my Rheem estimates were willing to size the furnace properly. They just seamed to pull out a random number ranging from 80,000 to 100,000 btu based on experience.

So I have to chose between the aforementioned Trane and Coleman systems.
    Heck just use the Manual J you already have, and give the sizes to the Rheem guy, seems like everyone else does this, it just happened to us. It's getting nasty out yonder, even the reputable folks here are cutting throats, must be a lot of starving businesses out there. Maybe they should not hire so many techs during the summer, and they would not have to worry about keeping everyone feed in the winter, by crooked business practices. Just venting, I am done now.

Post Likes
    I agree, the right contractor is most important. Of the two brands you are considering, I prefer Trane over Coleman and your contractor is recommending Trane.

What Size furnace and A/C is he bidding you?

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

Post Likes
    Bill, I wouldn't do that to a good contractor, if I can find one. I'm an honest guy. Guess where I finish? lol Anyway, the contractor will only do a load calc if he gets the job. He explained to me that its time consuming and there's nothing stopping me from doing what you described. I appreciated his candor. Another, carrier contractor offered to do a load calc for a deposit that would be credited toward the install. When push came to shove I get a one page printout dated several years back telling me to measure my windows and which direction my house faces then return it to him. Originally, he wanted to do the calc after the install lol. Luckily I was able to cancel the check.

Tech, If memory serves he thought a 3 ton would do the job, not sure about furnace, but would go down to 2.5 if load calc called for it.

Thanks guys

Post Likes
    Twilly says Rheem 45,000 60,000 75,000 90,000 105,000 120,000. Twilly says you need 75,000.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    If I were a potential customer, I would prefer a NATE certified contractor, installing a Trane unit, with the media filter, and IAQ stat.

1. NATE certification doesn't mean an contractor is smarter, but he/she has spent the extra time to help ensure their customers that they are a quality, well educated technician. IMO, those who don't believe in continuing education are likely narcissistic, scared of being embarrassed by a low testing score, or afraid to learn something new.

2. Trane is a high quality manufacturer that has recently been purchased by Ingersoll Rand, who is promising to bring back the Trane quality of yesterday. If I were going to install a new system in my parents home or mine, it would be a Trane. Don't forget the 10year Parts & Labor warranty.

3. Media filters installed at the unit are preferred, due the ease of insuring a quality seal between filter and unit intake. This keeps the interior of the unit clean, which helps promote system longevity and quality performance. Old ducting usually has many leaks. A restrictive "high efficiency" filter, installed at the return grille, is likely to cause infiltration of contaminated air between the filter and unit intake, and usually creates a higher return static pressure due to it's smaller area. Routine maintenance is a must with either filter, with a difference in time intervals favoring the annual media filter.
    4. The IAQ stats are nice to look at and have a lot of features that can be utilized in the future for upgrades on the system.

These are just my opinions... Your contractor is the person you need to trust.

Post Likes
    Could luck with your choice. I am getting the york modulating variable speed furnace installed on the 20th, which I take it is the same as the coleman. I have read people critic every furnace out there, especially if the dealer sells another brand.

The choice of contractor and the warranty are paramount.

Post Likes
    Of those 2 systems i would choose the Trane.

Questions:
    1,2 As long as the install, and Start-up are done correctly then either system will be reliable.

3, To the home owner they all do the same thing. We preference due to cleaning procedures etc.. Have a maintenance contract on your unit, and we inspect that no tubes are rubbing to ensure no leaks. Trust me Maintenance is a very big thing now with the high efficiency units.

4. A VS blower will not be problematic at all, but a VS blower will not solve ductwork issues! Dip switches can be adjusted to help airflow though.

5. Yes, its a very good filter. He probably recommended the F100 because it has a Merv rating of 10 which is very good airflow for the type of filter you want. A HEPA filter which does the same thing would be upwards of 14 or 15 Merv rating. You ductwork may not be able to accommodate that.

6. I am not sure what your asking.

I also like the fact he's replacing the Line set instead of Flushing it! I think you have a reputable contractor here. In my opinion that is the correct thing to do if at all possible.
    Last edited by budman21901; 12-08-2010 at 09:53 PM.

Post Likes
    Sebas says thanks Twilly, but I just don't trust any of the Rheem contractors that gave me estimates. (oversizing, wanting to add returns/supplies based on "experience")

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions specifically budman and mgenius.

Regarding, the stat question I was referring to baldloonie's recent post in another thread where he mentioned that lately he has been having problems with the IAQs, part of the screen stops working.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=680691

As it stands now, I am leaning towards the Trane system.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in